WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSundays; Live Lived Lovingly

Now we come to the final word in the series on the 'shatripuu' - the six enemies of personality which anchor us the mire of life. Here is the story so far:
Part One - structure
Part Two - the effort
Part Three - kaama/desires
Part Four - krodha/anger
Part Five - lobha/greed
Part Seven - madaa/arrogance etc

Maatsarya is envy, jealousy. Here is an example of there being only one word in Sanskrit for which there are two in English!

Quite often, though, these two words are used interchangeably. However, in psychological terms, there is a straightforward distinction. Envy is the feeling which arises when we see another person with something we desire, be it an object or a talent. Jealousy is the feeling which occurs when we have something already, but we perceive a threat to our relationship with that thing from a third party. As a -very- rough guide, envy can occur for people, objects and non-material things, while jealousy, almost always, takes place where people are involved. 

Going a little deeper, it could be said that envy strikes because we feel a lack of the thing about which the feeling has developed. Jealousy strikes when we feel something we have might be taken from us. Envy is mostly an intellectual disturbance, but jealousy can develop into emotional and even physical expression. Most times, envy does not engender negative reactive behaviours (although it can in rare cases), but jealousy often results in spiteful reactions of varying degrees, or emotional meltdowns.

Very often, envy and jealousy travel together. What kind of rival to your partner’s affections is likely to create jealousy? It is the rival with characteristics that you are likely to envy—that is, the attractive rival. This means that when you are feeling jealous, you are often feeling envious as well.

Most of us, I am sure, can admit to having envy every now and then. In the majority of cases, it is a passing moment, a prick in the psyche. "Oooh what a lovely jacket, I wish I had that!"... "Gosh, XXXs hair is gorgeous, why can't I have that?"... it comes in and then it passes away. Unless we own up to it, most of the time folk will not know that are envious of them. Also, envy rarely lingers to warp our personality.
Jealousy, however, tends to register on our features and flow through our words. It is hard to disguise! What is more, it tends to fester.
Thus, maatsarya is mostly translated as jealousy, as that is the more obvious and problematic emotion. 
That completes our look at the list of six - next, bringing it all together.

7 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought much about the difference between envy and jealousy before, but your careful analysis of the distinction is interesting.
    Cheers, Gail (who is feeling a tad envious of any England fan who was physically present at a certain rugby game in Japan earlier today!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when I was younger I might have had lots of envy which I think of as wishful. I think of jealousy as kind of mean spirited. Now at my advanced age I might say I wish I could do thus and so but I'm never envious of those who are doing it.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like Ceil, envy was very evident from the time I was about 5 until I finished school.. I do have to say, now the only envy I have is like what you mentioned, the desire spoken to have curly hair like my hubby's or to say I wish had her figure. but I am just wishing, not truly envious enough to covet whatever it is. jealousy is not something I feel, to fester over anyone or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeoulous come in all forms and shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting piece to the puzzle of life. It's interesting when someone posts on a trip or something they bought. Many will make comments, "I'm so jealous!" Our journey is our journey.
    Not a day goes by when hubby doesn't look out our back 40 and says how grateful he is to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was jealous and envious when I was much younger but I don't feel either emotion any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I battled jealousy for decades. Several of my friends marriages broke apart. My Hubby is such a sweetheart I had to really fight jealously any time he showed concern for the divorced women. I even moved away from some friendships just so I did not have to see the women around my Hubby. Not a very kind reaction to friends in need. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏