WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenOoWaC; Are We Concerned... Cruising is Losing

Getting back to matters meaningful. In the previous concerned post, I touched upon the fact that the majority of our consumable items are transported from their countries of manufacture by sea.

There is much ado about flying. Let's be clear - all transportation on this planet is currently an environmental beast. However, flying has been getting a really bad wrap because it is such an obvious and visible whipping pony. As you will have noted from the chart provided in the first instalment, transportation overall, whilst significant, is not the most offending regarding contributions to the global greenhouse gas emissions. Our electricity and heat demands outweigh them by some 10%.

When it comes down to the transportation sector, I found this neat little chart which applies within the European continent. Road transport, 71%. On this one, there is little difference between air and water transport. Together they have about a third of the impact of road vehicles. (Quite what 'other' transportation might be is something of a mystery. Drones, maybe?)

It's one thing that we obtain goods via the sea. But what about the rise in popularity of cruising? I know a handful of my readers are fans of this kind of vacation. But the thing that one needs to be aware of with all shipping, over and above gas emissions, is the overall environmental impact. Shipping is, without doubt, one of the dirtiest and most offending industries there is, but it is a case of 'out of sight out of mind'.

CLICK HERE to read full article
As of this year, the IMO will be imposing some output restrictions and the industry is having to get prepared. Just how well it is doing that is open to wide debate. There are many accounts and studies that demonstrate the challenges in changing habits on the sea. Not just the fuel and emission situations, as mentioned, but also matters of eliminating general waste and (in the case of commercial goods) the loss of containers, break up of ships, and all manner of other sea-damaging issues. (This article, and also this one, are both worth a read. Note that the fines imposed on cruise lines equate to each of us being told to stump up for a cup of tea...)

Alternative fuel options are not many. LNG is the main one being taken seriously at the moment. But this is the one I'd really like to see get moving! Here's hoping.


10 comments:

  1. that eco ship looks like a space ship. I don't travel so I am not a part of this. I rarely go more than 5 miles from home, and then it is 10 to 15 miles. the last time I traveled by car was a trip to GA of almost 400 miles, that was 2008. of course I buy goods that get shipped from China and all other points of the earth. it is a big problem, when I was a child I did not even know anyone who had been on an airplane or a boat of any kind. it was only for the extreme rich. now with charge cards anyone who wants to can and does. I don't want to travel in that eco boat but I sure would like to tour inside to see it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cruising is not something for me. Those boats ruin places like Venice (literally) by churning up so much water that it actually undermines the foundation of the city. Plus you see a lot of water. A loooooot of water! Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous ship...love the solar panels....

    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps "other" is bike riding ;) Or paddle boarding! Just kidding. I have tried really hard to reduce my driving to once or twice per week. Part of doing that is ordering stuff rather than driving to town to buy it. But then I wonder about whether ordering is better in terms of carbon? I don't know. I haven't seen an analysis of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      EXCELLENT question - visit again tomorrow!!! Yxx

      Delete
  5. I have mix feeling about cruise ships. I known who loves them. But I glad there looking or trying to be more eco friendly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cruise ships are so impressive but not for me. I like my feet to be on dry land.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cruise ship photo ~ cruises can be fun ~ carbon is a concern ~ I don't travel much anymore and have a mini cooper for a care and that does me just fine for getting to places ~

    Happy Moments to You,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbour)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did two river cruises in Europe but no others. I know lots of people who enjoy them. Interesting info. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏