WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoroondyup; Loose Ends

There have been a few comments/enquiries and an end or two I need to tuck.

Yesterday, KB remarked about purchasing and having delivered much of her shopping... how does it compare in terms of carbon footprint. WELL... this article gives you a fair idea when it comes to all things non-grocery (or even that too, if you are on their food supply lists). It's worth clicking through to the linked article within the one I just linked, too. I know that delivery by drone is becoming a bit of a thing... but this then goes into how one feels about those things.

In terms of groceries, I have recently taken to ordering the weekly shop for dad's place from our local supermarket, which happens to be Sainsbury's. Not having a car now, and not the strength or capacity to bring home such heavy and bulky goods myself, it is most certainly worth my while doing. That store does not run single deliveries. One chooses time slots - some of which are classified as "green", though this seems to be a tad random. The order is one of many in that van. It is, therefore, equitable to all those folk going in their own vehicles. One van verses several cars does seem a reasonable trade-off. Not brilliant though. A move to electric vehicles over the next few years would be a good thing. I certainly appreciate having the shop brought right into the kitchen though!

Joanne made a post yesterday remarking on littering. It astounds me how much muck is floating about our streets and countryside. When I was growing up, the Keep Britain Tidy campaign was a huge success and it was rare to see stuff lying around. There has been a renewal of that campaign in visual advertising on the side of litter bins, but not really a concentrated push on other media, that I have noticed. True, not all recycling is all it purports to be, but it is still a whole lot better than we used to have.

I am going to bring you some more very informative links next week.

One or two folk have inquired about my health. I do now accept that I have had some form of influenza. Two weeks on, the cough is lingering and the energy levels are low. I would say that I am now at about 85% capacity (up from 60% three days ago). So, mending, but still room for improvement! Am staying for a third week in Edinburgh to cover cares for dad as Mac1 had to give up one of her weeks of annual leave to look after us both!

One of the things I have done in my downtime is fall into the rabbit warren that is Ravelry. I had no idea... I thought it was just a place to buy patterns, but turns out it is a major network site for knitters and crocheters. With lots of patterns on offer, many of them free. Have been getting ideas for using the yarn I went in search of on that day I fell ill. Anyone else on there? Let me know your usernames or send me links and let's connect there!

It's all just life process, right? Thanks for all the messages of healing wishes and thoughts.


12 comments:

  1. We're glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you make a full recovery soon. Yes I'm on Ravelry with username harrispen but I don't use it much except to look for patterns. I find the groups discussion part to be very old school and prefer to use Facebook for that type of thing. The Kaleidoscope blanket that I'm currently working on uses Ravelry to distribute the pattern but has a Facebook group for community discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAM what wonderful news that you can order your groceries for delivery...WOW clapping.
    Kat and Pup's peeps did online ordering for grocery via Walmart while they were on their Journey..
    Give the personal shopper a time they want to pick it up. Wonderful for them. One could pick up the groceries in
    they truck and the other could stay with the furries in the RV. I'm not sure if Walmart delivers to the home like you get that is wonderful for you.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom resorted to some grocery deliveries in the first few weeks of her recovery, but she is so picky, she prefers to do her own:)

    So good to hear you are on the mend - it sounds like a doozy of an influenza you caught there. Now to get all the way to 100%.

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were sick preordering groceries was wonderful. We're too far out of town for delivery. It was still easier!
    Take it easy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was on a business trip to England in 1953. I was ten years old. One thing he said about the trip never left me. He said the country was exquisitely clean, no litter, no paper flying about, every man field stripped his cigarette butts. He probably said much more about his trip, but that is what stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for addressing online shopping. We do know about the packaging. We have a local business that accepts packaging for re-use so that is what we do (but I am sure that it eventually ends up recycled or in a landfill). I'm not sure about carbon emissions due to driving but I have to guess that one delivery truck that serves the whole rural area emits less than if each person drove to and fro town (40 miles). The question in my mind is what carbon emissions happen before the item gets on the local delivery truck...

    I am so glad that you're feeling better. I had Influenza A in early January. I really didn't feel fully better until mid-February so please keep taking good care of yourself. It's a tough illness.

    Thanks for addressing such an important issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thanks, KB... that linked article regarding Amazon does address the aspects you mention. They, of course, being the 'benchmark' for such things. The entire manufacturing industry has much to answer for of course. One of the things that are happening in the UK (and I am guessing from that Amazon article, elsewhere too) is that all businesses have to account for their emissions. Including before and after items or service leave their boundaries. It's a complicated and contentious issue. More soon! Yxx

      Delete
  7. I love looking at free patterns on Ravelry but don't have a username.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Door delivery of purchases can be a great help. We do that we run short of time.
    Glad to know you are recovering from flu! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. did you think coronavirus instead of flu? the first thought in my mind.. I think if everyone had food delivered there would be more cars than people going shopping... I would only have food delivered if I was ill and could not go out.. or unable to go myself..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, Ravelry is a great resource. My user name is, predictably, BouncingBertie, and under 'projects' I've posted photos of a couple of Bertie's jumpers (which you've already seen on his blog). Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The US is a resources hog.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏