WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menooooooooopppphhhhh... On Da Nose

An event at the Mac Clan House on Monday, May 4th...

The Wiltshire man was delivering dad's ready-meals (they help out when the helper is past the helping stage in the kitchen...), but rather unusually, rang the doorbell. Normally the order goes straight into the freezer downstairs, no fuss. I answered and the cheery fellow said, 'You have a problem.'

As he was telling me this, a rather pungent odour was reaching my nostrils. "Hmmm," thinks I, "that's fourthful,,, err,,, forceful..."  The cheery fellow continued, 'The drain at the front there is overflowing - with sewage!'

Thanking him for the alert, I ran out to find that, indeed, there was a river of effluent bubbling up from the gulley grate which just happens to be outside our driveway, but is not 'ours' per se. I dashed back inside to alert father and Mac2 and to locate emergency numbers. First was to alert the council, as they are responsible for the gulleys (aka storm drains). Pressing each "1" when requested by the auto voice, at the sixth time I reached - 'this number is not active due to COVID-19'.

EMERGENCY NUMBER FFS!!! (Steady YAM, this is family viewing...)

I duly filled in the electronic form.

Then rang Scottish Water, who is in charge of sewage as well. Three rings and I was on with Margo. A voice that spoke of being close to my own age, but with the added depth of end to end fags and maybe a dram or three. 'You're speaking with Margo, how can we help?'

I explained the scenario. 'Och aye, that disnae soond richt. Let me check..... nope, nobody has yet reported it. Can I take your details as the reporter? Good - ' and we went through the address and phone number thing. But not directly, for Margo was on for a chat. 'Do you watch "Sewage Men" on Channel 5? No? Och hen, you'd think ah widnae want to wi' this being my work and all - but really, the things they have to contend wi'. Ye just widnae believe whit they bring oot o' they drains!!!'

Oh, trust me Margo, I have  quite the imagination...

After some giggles and important info exchange, I hung up secure in the knowledge that Scottish Water was on their game. Barely two hours later a van pulled up outside. I went down to find Bill, who checked that I was the reporter. Another very chatty and cheery type who took one look at the flow and shook his head sagely. 'Aye, that's gonna require the muckle great beastie. I'll gie them a call and they should be here later today. The trouble is not with this drain, but the main one.' He pointed to the middle of the road. How long have we lived here? Somehow, I'd never noticed that central drain.

It was barely another two hours - indeed it was shortly after lunch, as we were bringing dad back into the lounge, that the muckle great beastie arrived. What ensued kept father engrossed for well over an hour.





The drain cover had not been removed for many years, it was apparent, for the two of them used full force to get the thing removed - that itself took them nearly 20 minutes. Then the 'eel' was sent into the depths. Due to blockage, initially, there was backflow (last image) up out of the main manhole and sending a torrent of yuck down the road. Eventually, the eel got a grip and worked through the block. They worked it this way and that until the water was running clear. In between, they removed items of detritus that clearly didn't belong in the drain. I flashbacked to Margo and her telly show. Let me simply say that there is a young family up the road from us... the rule of thumb, I feel, is that just about nothing should be going down the toilet that isn't directly out of the body. Even toilet paper is a problem. I saw that with my own eyes...

Which is an irony, given recent events.

Anyway. The older fellow here came to the door to report job done and explain what they found. That was free entertainment for dad that didn't involve the television. It was a variation on the monotony of lockdown. And it is a big tick to Scottish Water for speed and courtesy.

Vehicles In Caithness And Sutherland : 128 of 403 :: Scottish ...
Source: Google Images

18 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD did I say OMW. Goodness me thank Dad and S's lucky stars you were still there. You were Johnny on the spot with your report. Those men deserve every cent/lb they earn. What a job. Thank goodness the food service came when they did. WOW . And here we have crazies who think because the package says flushable...it is. Manufacturers would not advertise falsely RIGHT? AND Dad was entertained..win win
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad it was over and done quickly and you did not have to endure the smell for long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a disaster!!! You must have needed masks for sure. They drained our community pool last week and the smell from the green mucky water was so foul Mom could barely stand it. Glad you had a responsive team to get the job done.

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if senior center is doing any meal delivery or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to comment that the afternoon's adventure kept Dad well entertained, but you beat me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, since there are less and less new things on TV . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the delights. So pleased it kept your father entertained. That's worth a lot!
    Cheers, Gail.
    PS In the summer of 1978 I had job with the Severn Trent Water Authority in Birmingham which involved sitting in office watching footage from a camera being pulled through the sewage pipes of that city. My task was to note the precise location of cracks and potential blockages. Possibly the most boring job I've ever done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yam - well yes thank goodness everyone was on their mettle ... and weren't you lucky with those delightful working souls - they obviously were just salt of the earth, as well as very competent, uncomplaining and so helpful workers of the world. Your Dad will be living on that day for a long time ... disgusting however it might be. Sadly some people just aren't responsible ... and what goes into the sewage is just so nauseating, let alone revolting ... and completely unnecessary.

    So pleased it wasn't worse ... loved your telling of it ... stay safe!! All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness you were there and the problem was taken care of pretty quickly. Sewage odors are the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  10. before i make my comment let me say i feel your pain and know how bad this was. that said..
    I LOVE THIS POST. I enjoyed every word, every photo, every moment include the chats with the Marge and Bill. my favorite of all European Accents is anyone speaking with a Scot accent. and I could hear every word ye wrote in my head...
    in these days of Covid-19 any entertainment is fine with all of us... you and your dad got got his and I just got MINE. did i say I LOVE THIS POST?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see that it was all resolved quite fast, without much hassle. I always think what a thankless those guys do when they have to rush to a place to fix such stuff. Great souls! And lucky you were there with dad when that happened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you about stuff going down the toilet! You only have to live on a septic system to get it!
    What wonderful entertainment for pops. I wonder what you could dream up for next time??!! Hugs from away. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my what an adventure...I really love the way you tell it.
    I'm here through Sandra MadSnapper...we had been talking about our crazy world and trying to get things done..for me it was getting my Blog back to classic instead of the new fangled thing...
    Glad there was entertainment for your Dad too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thanks for dropping by, Sue - Sandra is great fun, eh? Oh yeah, I tried one of the 'new' templates and that lasted all of a day. Dreadful things. I can do pretty much what I want with these trad templates... Yxx

      Delete
  14. Having heard this first hand, reading it with your very clear photos is a treat Yam! Bravo Scottish Water and the Reporter! ��

    ReplyDelete
  15. People ~ amazing to see people during 'sheltering in place.' ~ Glad adventure was brief ~

    Be Well, Be Safe,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hubby's cousin worked up to chief engineer of the Sewer and waste water treatment for the city where we lived in Missouri. The stories he could tell. Ugh. A nephew in law in Tennessee is in environmental engineering. He tells of finding shopping carts and all sorts of things washed into caves from water systems. So proud for your water works quick response. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏