WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menomessary; Getting Creatikul In The Kitchen

Flour. It has become a scarce commodity. Here at the Hutch (and yes, am still here - heading back to Edinburgh next Thursday), all I have had available to me is strong bread flour. A couple of weeks back, I was desperate for pancakes. I uncovered some out of date baking powder and also cornflour. The cogs started turning. (You know how it can be when the YAMster's cogs turn...)

I sifted together a cup each of the white and the wholemeal bread flour along with a cup of cornflour and three teaspoons of the baking powder. I sifted it again and then a third time. More than was needed for my project, but better that than running out.
I whisked together two eggs and a cup of sour milk (which had prompted the thought of pancakes) with a tablespoon of sugar. Then I added the flour concoction a couple of tablespoons at a time, whisking until I got the gloopy texture I wanted. I was heartened by the fact that the batter was bubbling very nicely. I got the skillet on the gas and used coconut for the grease (hover over images for more chatter). 


16 comments:

  1. YAM your cogs turning created a splen-dipo-rous creation. So moist and lovely brown on the outside. I did hover and drool over each image...OMWord Yes a keeper did you write it down? I bet Dad would love this too.

    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Oh yes, I boasted to dad about these and have promised him some when I get back! Yxx

      Delete
  2. as they say necessity is the MOther of invention...you proved that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancakes are a staple in our house. Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look pretty darn tasty to us. Maybe we need to paw at Mom to make some for us too.

    Woos, Lightning and Timber

    Pee Ess, Mom hopes you are right about the rewards for patience being excellent, but she isn't very sure this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had pancake the other day, and I like to add fruit to batter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can do that, and will, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are one the way to you... this rainy day screams for pancakes ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love pancakes and yours look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yam's yummys! namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! We have no shortages in the stores, but JB went out and brought us breakfast in this morning. HUGE blueberry pancakes for the girls!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yam - well done ... I'd run out of flour too ... but someone found me a packet - I'll be fine for a few months as I use very little ... we used to make these as kids ... on a griddle on the Aga ... and we called them Scotch pancakes: teatime goodies for hungry kids! Delicious with golden syrup ... glad you're going to make them for your father on your return ... enjoy the free time left before you return to his part of the world ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Scotch Pancakes (drop scones in England, pikelets Down Under) are essentially the same batter - though made with fresh milk and one less egg and have an ounce of oil or melted butter added, then are cooked at only tablespoon size dropped onto the pan (so four to the size of these ones)... it may not have come across here, but these were dinnerplate size hotcakes, a'la "Maccas"!!! Pikelets tend to be a little more 'chewy' in texture and can be stored for up to a week because of the fat element. That's if they are not scoffed in one sitting!!! YAM xx

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏