WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoicical;;; Baby It's Cold Outside!

For my first few years back in the Bonny Land, the winters were no worse than I had experienced from the previous three decades in the Great Down Under Parts. The average winter temp in Sydney was around 5'C and it rarely hit that here until the year of the Beast from the East a couple of years back. Indeed, the summers were often just as cold, and that is where I noticed a climate difference. 

Produced in PixlR from a stock photo and YAM's text
Mostly, though, I haven't been bothered much by the cold. This year, I am really noticing it. Two possible reasons - but maybe a bit of both. One is that my time with father introduced me to constant, all-day central heating, even during the summer months. Acclimatisation was sure to occur. Then there are the sub-zero night temps that have landed here by the Hutch (and most of the isles). Many nights here of late have been around the -6'C mark (with a 'feels like' even lower). During the days it has been as much as 8'C according to the thermometers - but again the 'feels like' has been on zero or lower. 

So the YAMster has been cocooning. Hunkering down beneath the doona. With the low temps has been very low light, so no loss. I moved Voovoo through to the bedroom too and the pair of us have been making merry in snuggle comfort. I have emerged for a run on the pedals, a bit of shifting stuff around and for food. Beyond that not much else! 

That's okay. Winter was always intended as the season of recuperation. That's my tale and I am sticking to it.



14 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you but we are hitting 40c in Sydney this week but we have had a cool wet summer so far.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cold is not a big fan of mine either. We had a very nice day here today for January, but it ends tomorrow:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I sympathize. It hasn't been a horribly cold winter, but definitely cold enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had several days at 0 C. Expecting 18 C. this weekend. I am still hanging inside with the major covid upswing locally. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know it seem real cold when I came home from work, it was about 28F and I seen a lot colder.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate winter a lot... but fortunately we have a moderate one... with rain and rain and more rain ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm part of the minority that much prefers cold weather to hot. That said, yesterday was so miserably wet and windy that even my cycling group - and some of these ladies are seriously hardcore outdoor types - fell back on Zoom to meet yesterday! (Otherwise, we are meeting in pairs to cycle or walk at the moment, to comply with the current rules). Here in Aberdeen the notable feature of this winter's weather is that we've had much more rainfall than usual. Same all over the country I think. I was amused to read this week in a review of indoor exercise equipment (stationary bikes, cross trainers, treadmills etc.) the author concluded that his best lockdown purchase had been a pair of waterproof over-trousers!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Yam - well done ... the weather here in this little land varies so much doesn't it ... I thank goodness I wasn't here in 2018 for our 'great freeze' - yet remember 1963 when things were distinctly much worse re heating et al ...Stay safe, stay warm ... and enjoy reading, writing, mulling and all things Yamster ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can almost feel you're shivering! And it makes me feel cold just to read this. We have not been below 42 and that was only 3 days that's 42 Fahrenheit not sure what that is for you but it would be a whole lot warmer than what you are now and yesterday and today we went to 72 and brights and so it was beautiful and warm. I wish I could send you some of it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Molly and I much prefer the cooler temps but I don't like it in the teens and below and that's what is in our near future. brrrrrrrrr Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brrrrrrrr YAM. I'm glad you have found a way to be comfy and warm. Today we are having spring almost 60 degrees F. Tomorrow barely 40 degrees and next week they had the audacity to mention the 's' word for Thursday. Of course that could change 87 times.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brrrr! It was -15 degrees here this morning! The weather guessers tell us it is a Polar Vortex! The cats stand at the door, demanding to go out and then - when the door is opened, they run away from the cold blast to closer to the heating vents! I am happy you are staying warm! I shall cuddle up under a blanket with an old movie and do some embroidery! Have a marvellously Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are finally getting seasonal cold temps and some SNOW! Yes, I'm actually happy to finally have some snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You clearly need a Tigger sitting on you to prevent heat escaping. I'm also good at supervising screen-time. Furrings and purrings Mr T

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏