WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menortikulayshun; Image Manipulation

 You all know that photography is a key interest for the YAMster. As is being all 'arty'. Lacking something of the space and surface to do too much in the physical art side of things, I have found great pleasure (and artistic release) through the electronic media.

I have a few 'onboard' tools that I like to dabble in, whether starting from scratch with a mandala or other art piece or working on my photos. For the My Take blog, I tend to manipulate images to an absolute minimum - as pure to the photographic output as possible. I always declare there when anything has been more than exposure tweaked or resized. (And I resize all images I upload as well as watermark them (with the odd escapee), to minimise misuse should anyone consider them worthy enough to steal. My stuff is not commercial, but there's common courtesy y'ken!) 

Microsoft Paint is handy for reframing and sizing screenshots that I use to illustrate posts. I occasionally create in there, but mostly, it is useful as an adjunct for colouring and occasionally adding text. As so many other tools offer a greater variety of text and 'artification', it is rarely used now.
I bought Serif DrawPlus a few years ago now... and it has mutated into a multi-dimensional/purpose suite of programs now.

This is not so much for my photos - though it is possible to work on them through this. I was using it more for designs for my RedBubble offerings. (Which has dropped away with the busy-ness of the past two years...) I do need to get back to more of that at some point. This is professional software though, and although quite advanced in my skills, there are lots of widget-bits in it I have yet to explore, never mind exploit!

The advantage of buying discrete software items is that it is a one-off payment and one has the tool for as long as it is wanted or needed. However, the rise of mobile technology has driven an equal proliferation of subscription services (even if one downloads the software rather than working online). Many of these services offer free versions (usually with advertising somewhere on the screen). Then there are those which rely on donations only. One such is Irfanview. I REALLY like this tool, and it is my 'go-to' for tidying up, resizing and watermarking my images. Irfan Skiljian is from Bosnia and works based on donations for this excellent product. I happily send him a 'Christmas' $$!!! Hardly a day goes by without my using it.

The other photo-manip s/w I have on Voovoo is Fotor...which is now offered online instead.

I still use this from time to time, but others gain greater favour now. I do like some of the effects, and may try out the online version.

Another of my personal faves and 'go-to' tools is PhoXo. Virtually all my blog banners have been manipulated in that wee downloadable free software. (Yup, even the current one - so it's pretty effective!)
Last week, I followed a lead down a rabbit warren of all sorts of online offerings to prepare images. It can be quite mesmerising! Barb, over at Cats-astropic Events, told of using Fotoram.io and of course I had to go looking! I have to say that it is a bit derivative of Fotor, Lunapic and other similar things. It is a bit slicker, and I didn't mind it - I did produce the following two images using it - from one original of my own, these two effects...


Quite pretty, I think you will agree. For ease of use, quickness of result and the ability to make even rather ropy images look presentable, this is quite useful.

No watermark facility and fewer text options though (see right), so I took the one on the left back to Irfanview to mark it.

I have chosen to experiment with the next one for a little while - not sure how long - and it is PicsArt. This is not a particularly intuitive tool, and there were many 'undos' and binnings until I got anything working the way I wanted. The advantage of this one, for me at least, is that one can use preformatting for the Instything, so am going to be keeping with it to see how I go. It may be that my own pre-existing crop and refine even with just Irfanview and adjusting with PhoXo, will be all I need.



These two images are again from Fotoram... you'll see two from PicsArt in tomorrow's post!

Which leaves me with one more tool I would like to tell you about here today.

PixlR. It has two versions, both of which can be utilised from free online and both of which can be taken out under one subscription for upgraded services. Let me tell you that after only a couple of days of having fun with it, I have subscribed!!! Yes, it was good enough to fork out $38/yr (discounted initial rate). Having already produced many images in it (see Monday's post for three of them!) I am definitely going to get my money's worth. You'll be seeing plenty from this one - and it may even become my banner maker... The two versions are "X" and "E". The first is for speedier, click and pick alterations (which is all I have done up till now) and offers an extensive range of options. The second is for much finer detail and full photoshopping style of manipulation. I will experiment with that at some point, but am simply enjoying playing in the first sandbox! I leave you with a sign of the times, as produced in PixlR...



13 comments:

  1. Since I am not all that skilled as a photographer, I rely on Lunapic to help me out here and there. But some of what you mention here sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a point and shoot person you do much better than me.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Image rework and manipulation ca be so much fun. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you are having a blast with this! I am *forever* learning photoshop - nowhere near as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to be creative in many mediums. I took photography in high school, before digital age.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mind blown. F's tech skills non-existent (she can crop photos, and that's your lot). I shall nudge her to try some of your recommendations. F's & P's xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was a super post, we will look if the mama can maneuver such a program, it makes fab effects...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the photo editing programs. They can be so much fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. photo editing is my THANG, i love it as much as Beau loves orange thang. maybe more. he is ball brain I am edit brain. i have the list of these and the email you sent me but can't get the time to play.
    i have spent 6 days trying to decide what computer to buy and if I had done so on the 1st day i would have it by now.. can't wait to try out pixr,, I am picmonkey fan, but it does't play well with OLD computers. if it plays well with wht ever I buy will just up grade to pro because i love it. it is much like photosshop. i have 2 old photoshop and not sure if they will play well with a new computer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clapping at each and every shot and edit. The last one made me giggle
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the shout out! One of my fun favourites is the Deep Dream Generator, this one uses algorithms to generate the final image, you can use multiple images to get some great effects and it is mainly uncontrollable! I LOVE that! Sometimes I get crap and sometimes I get a pearl. The results are always a surprise! https://deepdreamgenerator.com/
    Have a marvellously Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Hmmmm, I can understand the draw, intellectually, but creatively this is not something that appeals to me. I do prefer to have artistic control! Also, for those interested in such things, The T&Cs of Deep Dream are worth the reading (it's a Google app); I have noted this week that Fotoram, whilst quite fun, does not let one delete the uploaded photo on completion of the task; PixlR absolutely does and this is a big plus on the ledger. You really don't want your images floating around unchecked if at all possible.

      Someone did question my watermarking and resizing everything I upload (which is time-consuming) but it is important to remember that everything you upload to a public space (such as our blogs), ends up on the 'images' pages of search engines. There is no way to avoid this, unfortunately. Yxx

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏