WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menogurgulating; Trying To Be Tidy

As a rule, I am a minimalist. Also inclined to the 'a place for everything and everything in its place' philosophy. I accept that whilst working, clutter is going to happen, but also expect that after work, clutter will have been removed. Not that I am expecting this of others (though did when working out in the greater orbit), but definitely of myself. 

Back here in the Hutch, I was kind of 'dumped'. A heap of stuff which had been accrued - or adopted - while away in Edinburgh last year, came back with and all in one lump. Some of it could be immediately placed, but there is quite a bit still just lying about. Mostly in the spare room, but even the lounge is cluttered with a couple of bags and books and other such detritus. What is required is a reorganisation of existing storage space to accommodate it... there is additional storage due to arrive once the estate has been settled, but that will be months away, and I need to get sorted now, for I feel like I am living in a warehouse at the moment. 

January floated by with virtually nothing moved. I needed some respite and that was that. Time to get active again. Neither must I be too harsh on myself and expect it all to happen at once. A little each day. 

The kitchen is a bit of a bomb site. Sorted one cupboard when I got back, but now need to get going on the others. Monday, I did the under sink. Stuff was just pretty much thrown in there and needed searching and pulling stuff out to reach other stuff... so...


























Those sturdy delivery boxes can find a new lease of life! Here, one is pressed into service to hold all the small stuff in one place, so only needs sliding out as a single unit to reach the required item, then slid back in as a single unit. Easies.  What is disturbing is that this job took me nearly two hours, because of course, there was stuff found that had been long forgotten, dropped down the back, then there was the cleaning of things and thinking...

Do you get that? The thinking that comes with decluttering or tidying? I am sure it serves some purpose such as catharsis or preparation, but golly it slows things down!

I aim to have one more cupboard, at least, sorted by the weekend. There are some larger boxes and a corner cupboard requiring inspired access...

On Tuesday it was my bedroom that got the makeover attention. I use the term 'bedroom' a little loosely, for it is actually an eight feet by six feet windowless boxroom. There is no door, I use a curtain. It is my den within the Hutch! There is, you see, also something of a cave-dweller in me. Anyway. For a small space, it serves me very well. My bed is a mere five feet three inches long (as I am less than the five) and how much space is required for sleeping anyhow?! The shuffle involved drawing the bed into the middle of the wall so that there is an equal twenty inches all around. This allows easier access for changing, rather than clambering on the mattress trying to tuck sheets in under one's own weight. 


The side table is now fully against the right wall, and there was room on the other side to place another disguised box side table and the wee space heater.  There is actually a central heating radiator (behind the photographer's back), but putting the heating on for just me seems excessive. That wee heater toastifies the den in no time and it holds the warmth well in there. Economical! You'll note some stuff hanging... on this wall, there is a net full of my earrings and necklaces, a place of hooks for used clothing not headed for the washer, and a full-length mirror which is angled to show the door and helps give the illusion of a much larger space.

As I prepare this post for you on Wednesday, it is blowing a hoolie outside the Hutch and sleet and temps of 3'C (37'F - but "feels like" readings of minus eight). So, the den currently looks like this...


Yup, borderline cluttered! Another side table has snuck through from the lounge to hold the mouse and other accoutrements, snacks and fluid supplies are on the right and let's not enquire what Coco and Roo are getting up to under my shoulder wrap!
 
The main thing is I am cosy and comfy and I may just hang out here until spring hits!!! 

So, the bedroom is done, Kitchen is started. There's a long way to go before I have the Hutch in order and running the way I would like best. I'll keep you posted because then it helps my focus!!!




19 comments:

  1. There is nothing more satisfying than creating order for your stuff. Seeing your cozy kitchen, I am tasting the best curries I may have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also dislike clutter and like to be organized, although the kitchen counters are always a catch-all. I never seem to be able to keep them clear. But like you, one area at a time is the way I would do it. A small sense of accomplishment can go a long way in the motivation game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like a lot of clutter either, and the hubbie was a hoarder. it has been very cathartic to de-clutter. Since I finished work, a certain amount of "Not putting things back" has happened, but I know it will be straightened soon. I am finding I have more energy as we get more light during the day! Have fun! And have a marvellously Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always good to bring order to your life. We try to keep organized around here but my sewing room tends to get messy very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a great notion this morning to dust, and I dusted through the house, tra lalalalala. Later a friend called, and I sat down to talk. And laughed out loud. I had dusted around but not under, and from the chair I could see all the unders. They still aren't dusted.
    Can you explain what program you use to watermark your photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Yes, Joanne, I've mentioned Irfanview a few times... just put that name in your search line and it will come up... or use the link from my recent post about image manipulation. It is a free and easy piece of software which I have donated to for five years now. (The watermarking is done via the edit function, and I use both the straight watermark direct from dashboard and the option to use an 'overmark' bringing in another image - which is my OM YAM-yum mark.) YAM xx

      Delete
  6. Good job!!!! We've spent so many hours cleaning out our old house, and we are as close to minimalist as we'll ever be. I agree - it feels good! But, we can't truly enjoy it yet - until we can move our remaining stuff to our new house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love small, cozy bedrooms—the result of living for 16 years on a 32 ft. sailboat, with a 9 foot beam, with another person and cardigan welsh corgi (a small one!). I have never slept better. /Fay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a minimalist. And I don't like stuff piling up. A good old saying is if you have something that hasn't been used for about a couple of years, then it can be safely discarded. At least stashed away somewhere. But the problem is one gets emotionally attached to somethings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. F would like to be a minimalist but Mr B is acquisitive and gets really distressed when he sees her heading for the bins or even a charity shop with a bag of something that 'might be useful' ... 'usefully out of the way' i hear her mutter. We like you patchwork quilt YAM-aunty. Furring & purrings Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. well done!!! I felt yesterday too like living in my junk store. it's time for spring cleaning ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Yam - well done on what you've achieved ... your den sounds the ideal place at the moment ... foul weather, not an easy time. Good luck with the rest and stay safe - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been doing this same thing, and what i wnt to know, is how and why when we complete this organizing, in a few months it is no longer orgainized. i tell myself, i will put everything back where it goes, then get something with no place and just stuff it anywhere. what a super idea to keep earrings, and it makes a pretty wall hanging. the earing holder looks a lot like my valances on my kitchen windows. it is good in your cold climate to have a cozy den to warm up and retreat to.. our bed is a dual king size and bigger than your den. yours is sized perfectly for you. we have to have a big bed because i can't sleep if someone touches me. i have been browsing for one of those laptop desk that is on your bed, any advice on what not to buy or to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work, Yam. I have spurts of motivation and then it leaves me. My week off, with the girls, I am baffed! We found Isabelle has been watching YouTube videos instead of working on school work. She clearly needs supervision, sigh. Take care, take your time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looked at your photos and thought you have a lot of stuff out! Who would live like that? And then I looked around my house!!! No wonder i never invite anyone over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bless your heart YAM I can 100% understand how things got out of sorts and lost their place over the last year.
    It took a year to get that way so for sure it will not be a quick process getting it back as you want it.
    You have done an excellent job in the first few days of February.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like keeping things tidy as you do, YAM, but it's not always so easy. You're doing a great job. Love the quilt on your bed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, a person of my own ilk. Sorting, cleaning, tossing and rearranging seems to work on both the surroundings as well one's own mindspaces. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first saw the photo of that kitchen, I thought about a bomb having exploded, it looked so full and unlike what I saw when I stayed at yours (aeons ago). But sometimes that's how things go and I am sure that bit by bit you will get it the way you like it again. Even if it might take a while.
    Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏