WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoshunable; Some Mind Munching

Pondering what to place here today, I recognised a need to just have a bit of a round-up, a bit of this and a touch of that. A clearing out of small ideas lurking in the thought larder and not quite manifesting as worthy of full posts, but still needing to be put on display. You can decide whether it was worth bothering you with!

You'll recall that last weekend, there was a bit of hiss and spit about shenanigans from Google - specifically on the Blogger platform. It turned out that quite a few folk were hit with it, but not all in the same way. I am left with the annoyance of not finding any official reference to it. Generally, the bulletin boards and forums are ablaze on such matters. Perhaps we are all just getting adapted to the fact that it was just another symptom of tinkerings beneath the hood. There is a major update on Google's Android platform imminent (currently in beta format), and there is to be the removal of some functionality in the thing called Feedburner in a couple of months; I never got wrapped up in it, but if any of you use RSS and seek to have folk subscribe to your blogs via email rather than just the 'follow' button, then you may find it breaks communications until you set up something in place of it. Read more here if you want to follow up and act ahead of the game. (As an aside, I am intrigued by Project Starline - and am a bit excited by the prospect. I make no apology. Once a geek, always a geek!)

This year, in a few updates, not everything has been obvious. A few things have, though. In Gmail, the sidebar with various tools (to which you can add if you wish), I have found to be pretty helpful - I use the contacts button a lot and also the 'keep' box - very handy for important login info and suchlike. The notepad has proven worth its presence on occasion too. Now, on the Chrome interface, there have been these recent additions (the red highlights are mine);


The 'sort tabs' button up top seems to me to be a bit of overdressing. Tinkering for the sake of it. I often have as many as a dozen tabs open, but I never lose track of them, so I really can't see any major benefit coming from that little adjustment. The 'video/audio playing' tool I have used quite a bit. For example, in recent snooker tournaments, opening up the broadcast player and then selecting to 'sub-window' the play meant I could go around reading and working with the action still on display on the lower right corner of my screen. I am using it again now for the World Curling Doubles (being held in Aberdeen - and NOT shown on BBC - this week's hiss and spit menoloopal... Scotland is the home of curling, for crying out loud...)

Then there is the 'reading list' tool, the most recent addition. How is this different from 'bookmarking' on the top bar? Not everything you want to go back to view in greater depth is necessarily something you want to keep longer than for the research or passing interest purpose, so the reading list is proving itself very useful for tabbing items in the sort term. I love the bookmarks bar and have no less than nine main folders with sub-folders and randoms under each one, plus one or two short-termers but still longer than reading list strength mounted straight to the bookmarks bar. 

Do you use any of these tools? If so, how often? I like it. Previously I'd have had to download everything - this way, I'm not using up valuable disk space. 

Now, apropos absolutely not a lot, I had a gander oot the windie the other night - in the tiniest of hours - to discover it cloud-free and sparkling—a somewhat scant occurrence over the Hutch. I was immediately struck by a very bright 'star' before realising it was moving at speed - and being followed by a phalanx of many other bright points of light at a similar speed. The binoculars showed them to be grouped in twos and threes and some singles but all tightly patterned in the front 'car', then a few spread out, then a second 'car' of tightly grouped lights. I was pretty sure it was above the stratosphere and not aeroplanes. Of course, the initial (when seeing the lead light) thought was 'satellite'... but an entire pearl necklace??? I stood mesmerised as it traversed from over Kilmartin hill, across the Clyde down over Renfrewshire... this Trekker had all sorts of scenarios presenting themselves to her. 


Then the geek took hold, and research ensued. It didn't take long to discover that the frenetic geek of geeks, Elon Musk, might be responsible. He has been developing multiplatform satellites, and the project is called... wait for it... Starlink. (Not to be confused with project Starline, above.)

I simply could not get a photograph, never mind a video, hence the hand-drawn effort you see here - but some did, thanks to too-clever-by-halfones.  A little bit of excitement and imagination sparklers for the week.

Here's to the weekend - if you are out and about, play safe and remember, even now, hands-face-space!!!




22 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I feel like a dinosaur after reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been hearing about starlink on both sides. Astronomers are upset about the effect on the night sky. But, people like us live where there's no fast internet... and for us, it could be a good thing in terms of connectivity. There are always pluses and minuses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Feedly to follow blogs, including yours. Feedly, if you remember. really took off after Google wound up its own Reader. Feedly modelled itself on Google Reader, so transition was smooth.
    I have seen the updates to Chrome web browser. But I haven't noticed 'Reading List' yet. I should check that out.
    Those Android 12 updates look interesting.
    Elon Musk seems to be going great guns with so many projects. Will have a look at Starlink.

    I haven't heard of Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      I just never got into Feedly - the blogger dashboard reader is all I have ever used; never really understood the need for anything else as one can apply URLs for non-Blogger blogs/websites. It's unclear whether anyone who has used RSS as their link to various sites is going to lose notifications, or whether it is purely the owners of email lists that are being affected by the upcoming update - I think the latter. For now. The reading list toggle literally only appeared within the last 6-8 weeks, but I have loved using that bit! Yxx

      Delete
  4. we use nearly nothing of that options... the mama is not even able to handle POI LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a MAC - having gone to the dark side years ago - and I use Chrome too for most things. I like it's simplicity so hope it doesn't get complicated by default. I too quite like the reading list for short term items. The RSS feed is a pain, but it's a sign (I fear) that blogger is being de-prioritised. I hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      There have been rumours and concerns for some time about Blogger 'sundowning'... but last year's major overhaul of the platform suggests not. However, Google are trying to bring it ever-closer to their overall corporate look and, I believe, offer a bit more of a similarity to competing platforms. I do wish they'd improve the comments threads to resemble those on WP, though - that is the one element I find preferable on that other platform! Yxx

      Delete
  6. Hi Yam - I just exist as I am ... but always appreciate learning from others. Enjoy your investigations ... take care and if you can get out in the wind and rain enjoy ... we're having a sunny but windy interlude at the moment. I will venture down to the sea to check things out ... can't see any trees down round here ... enjoy the weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. MOL BOL LOL I love that the Geek took over.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not interested in starlink but love the idea of Starline. wow... I remember the first time years ago, bob and i were watching the news and they came on and said they had new tecnology on the way. they were sitting by a coffe table that had the pinch and widen effect and all things projected on the table, the beginnings of what they use on the news now, we were mind blown. now we do it from our LAP plus a whole lot more. my conceren is I can't even get my friends family to do facetime or zoom , they are all tech challenged. so using this will be a not but i sure would love it...
    I don't use Chrome, i have it on all devices but do not like Chrome. I prefer Edge but am thinking of getting a chrome book so will have to use it. I do have all the things on Chrome and use it sometimes and i use bookmarks for everything and also have multi screens open all the time. I love what they did to gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool to see those lights in the sky. If you hadn't been up you would have missed it. I've seen some of the new changes to Chrome but don't see much use in them. I have used Feedly for a long time since I'm a Wordpress user and don't use the Blogger platform. I think there might be a similar reader in Wordpress but I've never used it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so fun. A way with words! "small ideas lurking in the thought larder"
    We've been enjoying the curling. Our Canadian station, TSN, has been showing Canada games. JB watched the others online on YouTube, and we broadcast the TSN shows on the TV through ChromeCast, if I'm not watching something. This has really made him happy, and focused. He's got his game matrix and score pads. It keeps him off the street, especially since the bugs are horrid.
    cheerio! xxx
    I'm sorry you aren't seeing it there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could never be a geek. All of this stuff gives me a headache! LOL Feedly works for me - that being said, there are times that it doesn't notify me until HOURS later that someone has posted and for some reason, it won't tell me when the LLB Gang posts at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      That thing happens with the Blogger reader on the dashboard too - occasionally posts get missed altogether and there are two blogs that dropped off and no amount of jiggering from me will bring them back into the list... and there are a few of you I don't know have commented until I read back on the actual page - yours is one Steph's another... it's most odd... Yxx

      Delete
  12. We also use Feedly after the Old Reader went away. Love it, except yes, it isn't always current or maybe speedy in uploading some posts. Haven't seen the reading list yet. Never used that feedburner, hmmmm, do I have to remove it? Who knows? We are contemplating a blog break but worry Blogger could disappear on us:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      No, Blogger isn't going anywhere, they've put too much effort into all that 'upgrade' last year. You don't have to remove anything - unless you opted to give people the chance of following you by email and keep a list of email addresses... You'll be missed if you take a break - but I'll still be here when you return! (Barring natural disasters or sudden onset life departure!) Yxx

      Delete
  13. I don't like Alphabet products much. I particularly don't like Chrome and the Google search, too many trackers, plus they are far too intrusive. I DO have a gmail address for the blog and my "throw away" email account (all those places you have to enter an email address before you can do anything). I do upload videos for the blo to YouTube. I don't like the tracking from gmail either. There are a few tools that I do find useful such as google docs, they are wonderful for non-profits sharing from different locations. I'm using Blogger as I had a really bad experience with Wordpress and Marv's blog last spring. There was an upgrade and I lost access to it.
    I Use FireFox (Windows, Android) and Brave (iOs) for internet use and Duck-Duck-Go for the search engine. And I do use Facebook (Marv and my Business/Me) and Instagram for my daily walk photos.
    We had the opportunity to evaluate StarLink (we live in a remote rural area) but the Cost for evaluation was almost twice as much as we are paying for Cable Internet. To get the evaluation, it for what they said was a drastically reduced rate we would have to be monitored and fill out reports.
    Have fun with your explorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Hi Barb,
      In Firefox, you have to switch to 'do not track'... and this is also possible in Chrome. Regular tweaking of privacy and clearing cookies keeps things tidy, too. Plus for real privacy, one can use the 'incognito' mode. Additionally, a VPN is useful if one is geographically concerned. It's tomaytoes and tomatoes, all things, in the end, providing the same thing regardless of how prepared. I did, for some time, work with Open Source... but that has become as much like all the rest... and all the rest have learned lessons from them. I lament the days of discrete programs and user control over the machine. When all is said and done, these days what one has on one's screen is to one's own taste and favoured usability.

      My brush with WP only confirmed for me that Blogger is just fine as a platform... I am a great fan of the KISS principle!

      That's interesting about Starlink... I don't know if it is running over here as such. I am not surprised to hear that it is currently very costly - it is far too early in the process. Remember when VHS first came out - luxury item!!! I'm not sure what I think of trails of white lights littering our night skies... it was a bit spooky, to be honest. But genie v bottle and all that... Yxx

      Delete
  14. Hardly understood a word of what you wrote today. I have never been that much of a geek and if something really needs doing, I get my sister to do it.

    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  15. We spent an hour going down rabbit holes from you links (including your comment on asparagus) and forgot to leave a comment. Thank you for the spark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have heard a lot about the Elon Musk projects. Here is one project that is about 20 miles as the crow flies from our apartment. https://electrek.co/2021/01/05/tesla-gigafactory-texas-hits-hyperspeed-giant-building-new-job-postings/#:~:text=new%20job%20postings.-,Tesla%20Gigafactory%20Texas,the%20electric%20pickup%20truck%20there. namaste, janice, xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏