WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoizikul; Midweek Musicalisms

This month, an exploration of stringed music from traditional backgrounds; essentially all harps, but with cultural adaptation. That said, I have chosen pieces that are all fairly modern and upbeat - even frenetic in a couple. But compulsive listening. There is something about the harp/strings that truly does reach in and grab at one...

Today I bring you the Finnish harp (kantele). As with most harps, the family relationship is with the zither grouping. Timo Vaananen is one of the top proponents and masters of the instrument and here brings it bang up to date. In case you can't play it here, or click through from the vid - then you can also click here.

9 comments:

  1. Never seen a harp like that.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like harps - traditional ones very popular here in Wales. But I'm trying to think of any setting where they have moved into the popular mainstream - and I can't. My friend played hammered dulcimer and was rather amazing at it. As for me, I'm avoiding my sax at the moment - too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful harp and his music is wonderful to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. Thank you for introducing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooooh so pretty and I loved the close up of his very agile fingers

    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. i did some of my excecises to this, perfect beat and i have neer seen or heard one either

    ReplyDelete
  7. This guy is operating on some other plane (or even planet) - he has got one of those detached smiles that says he's floating away in this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally into his music. I had never seen an instrument like this one. Thanks for adding another wrinkle on my old brain. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏