WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoculayshunal; Musicalism, Ashram Style 2

To be fair, the initial part of this post is not directly musical or performance-related, but the task undertaken was a big outlet for seva and discussion. What is more, it provided an opportunity for verbal revision as we bantered about the texts and chanted and memorised whilst attending to the main project.

What was that, exactly? Refurbishing the library and creating a database for lending as we went. This was directly in my skill-set. For my computing degree back in the 1980s, when computers were still kept in wardrobe sized cabinets, another student and I analysed the needs of the college library and its lending system and wrote a program to improve the management of that. (That program stood working for some twelve years after we graduated!)

Now, I did NOT write the software for this particular task. It was decided to utilise the existing generic database available from the main office. It was not perfect, but better than the manual system that was still being worked for the library until our batch decided to do something about it! It also meant that there could be multiple inputs using the laptops that quite a few had. I and three other ex-ITers were elected team leaders, and we organised four groups. We all took turns emptying the shelves, writing the required data onto forms ready for input, computer input, and then resetting the books on the shelves. There was a significant amount of cleaning involved as we went, for it became clear a spring clean was a distant memory for this room!

We took permission to have the books on the floor - usually a 'no-no!'

First, the paper entry...

...then the data entry! (Br Mandip was one of my co-leaders).

Having volunteered and approached the acharya with our plan well laid out, we were granted an entire week free of course study to get the bulk of the work done (and we managed that!), then it was up to whoever wished to continue after that week to complete the task. The team leaders/organisers and about fifteen other students continued over another six or seven weeks, and we left that place pristine and organised down to the last Dewey number!

On our first February at Sandeepany, we were afforded the delight of the inaugural Naada Bindu Kalaateet. A cultural weekend which the paying public could attend and which took place on the roof terrace of the office building. One or two Hindustani offerings, but mainly Carnatic music, and it was magical! Even if I wasn't going along to one of the sets, I could hear everything from my room - or go to my own building's terrace and watch from there. Mostly, though, I did go along, for tropical spring nights set alive with bright lights and lively, heart-searing sounds is simply not to be missed.



The word kalaateet means timeless, and that is surely how it felt that weekend! Sublime. There have been nine further concerts since that one, the last happening in February 2020... (we all know what happened after that.) Again, I do have some personal footage from that first event, but very poor quality, so let me complete this post and give you a taster from the promo film of the 10th Kalaateet, held at the home of Naada Bindu on the Kolwan ashram...

9 comments:

  1. How pleasing it must have been to contribute your library/IT skills and to such a useful end at the ashram.
    The Kolwan ashram featured in the video is in such a beautiful location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love the word... it sounds like the meaning.. sometimes other languages have the better words than our own...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see that you could contribute your skill sets for the betterment of library management. I am sure it must have been a hugely satisfying moment when it all came to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thing I noticed and applaud is all the happy smiles of friends enjoying themselves
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with the comment about happy faces, everone in the part about the library was focused and happy on the library organization. i love the cosutmes at the first of the video and the compound is beautiful... I to like the word for timeless

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project to update and organize the library. That concert sounds like a great event to enjoy lots of music and dance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness! One of the first things I worked on was a library system (back in the early 70's). My Dad had his own business and wrote one for the local college, I was tasked with data entry. Starting from (almost) nothing is a real accomplishment. You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not have all my books digitalised by name and author, but I cannot abide a random bookcase. In fact, I once alphabetised my sister's bookcase as it annoyed me so much! I asked her first and she said okay. It took me three days!

    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your contribution to their library system is very much in the way of leaving a place better for your contribution. Well done to everyone for their role in tgat. xxx F and Mr T

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏