WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoAZering; J=Jade


For April, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z, and you will find original images created by me and some ramblings to go with them. I will capitalise words that begin with the featured letter (on first use only). Let me know what you think of the pics, words, or both in the comments! For more of this madness, you can visit Blogchatter.

There once was a dog called JADE
As orange as mar-ma-lade
She'd hold up her paw
and slacken her JAW
and her owner, like butter, was made!

Jade was the first and only dog I ever owned - my heart dog. There had been family dogs, and I'd learned a lot about training from my grandfather and uncle, who were breeders and trainers of Border Collies. Lots of friends have had dogs to whom I could be 'aunty', and then, of course, there are all the lovely dog (and cat!) bloggers I have come to know over my years online, having the great privilege of meeting some 'in the furs' in 2016.

Jade was one of those dogs who thought about what was going on and tended to want JUSTIFICATION for why she was being asked to perform certain things. Her mother was a full-blood Rhodesian Ridgeback who had had an unplanned rendezvous with a neighbour's mixed-breed dog who was thought to be mainly English Staffordshire Bull Terrier... but I think there was a good percentage of German Shepherd in there too. Jade might have needed to know the reasons for certain actions, but once convinced, she was as steadfast and skilled as they come.

Jade also taught me things. By taking her into my life a daily discipline was required that had been lacking. During a period of very low mood, having her and her bro-cat, JASPER, to look after ensured I didn't fall off the end of a pier. From Jade, I learned to double-check everything and not be afraid to make my feelings known. Also, that to play was as important to one's wellbeing as diet. That there are some people who will never be pleased and nothing you do can change that, so just wag your tail and move on...

My darling was with me for fourteen and a half years. It was a shock to me as I selected this image to realise that it is already fourteen years since her passing with only another half to go... 

Still alive in my heart.


18 comments:

  1. So sweet, Yam! They stay in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets can mean a lot. I realized it after I started having kittens at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. A nice tribute. And I like your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to have known Jade. Although learning about her from your beautiful and loving descriptions is a good second best!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dogs can change our habits and even our whole life... we double check efurrything now too... like dogs ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A sweet tribute to jade. He seems wonderful. I don't hav pets but i understand pet love

    Dropping by from a to z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. once in our hearts they are there forever. I like the name Jade, a true jewel in your life. Our Baby Girl was half Rhdoesian, unsure what the other was. she was as stubborn as a mule... and did not like to play except to be chased by other dogs. Jade reminds me of her. I am happy you shared this story. I knew about her but not the details. 14 years of joy, there is nothing to compare to that joy... I have a friend and a sister in law that do not like animals, my dad did not either. I have never understood the lack of joy when they look at dogs, cats or cows and horses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such an endearing post. Didn't know there were orange coloured dogs like jade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh YAM what a joyful picture of your heart pup Jade.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing about Jade. I'm so glad to have made her acquaintance through your post. Your love for her shines through your words.
    Love the limerick. And absolutely adore Jade's wisdom of..."so just wag your tail and move on..."

    As per your question about blogger comments, I'm glad to report that your comment has appeared on my J post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful dog Jade must have been. I feel as if I almost know her, you have written so many stories with her as the star....

    Dory saved me...as Jade did you. The heart dogs just "know", don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful tribute. Special dogs stay in our hearts forever♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post and tribute. Our heart friends never leave our hearts, and we're all the better for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Going by the portrait, my first impression about Jade was a cautiously curious and attentive soul. And when I read the post, I marvelled at your talent! This portrait speaks thousand words for sure.
    I am a dog person having lived with dogs as my buddies all through out my growing age. The pain of loosing a pet dog is one of the hardest to bear. But I always feel thankful that they were with me as part of my life.
    Thank you Yamini for making efforts to reach my post inspite of the fact that my blog was difficult to find. Thank you for pointing at the technical snag which has gone unnoticed. Indebted with this kind gesture. I am also sorry for the inconvenience caused. Will look into it and rectify (soon, post A2Z I suppose :))
    - Anagha Yatin (https://canvaswithrainbow.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perhaps you would consider another 4 legged companion if you realize that 'go mobile' dream of yours. In Marley and Me the author mentioned to his second dog (at the end of the book) that she was much better behaved but that would never make a story. Each has their own personality and they can't be replaced, but their is room in life for a new personality to share life with. xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
  16. Time gets away from me, also. It's been 20 years since our Sam left us. She was 14 like your Jade. First dog we ever allow to live in our home. Golden retrievers are not small dogs, either!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏