WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoAZering; P=Psykadelika


For April, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z, and you will find original images created by me and some ramblings to go with them. I will capitalise words that begin with the featured letter (on first use only). Let me know what you think of the pics, words, or both in the comments! For more of this madness, you can visit Blogchatter.


I have never imbibed anything more mind-altering than an occasional over-indulgence in beer. In fact, apart from a PERIOD in youth, just as with many others of that age, even my alcoholic intake is absolutely minimal. These days, a cider or a beer/lager at Christmas and New Year - and maybe around my birthday - is all that happens. I quite like the taste of a beer or cider, but really, I don't get the POINT of taking any more than a glass. Two max.

Yet I have known many who seek to obliterate themselves, not just in alcohol. If I don't get the need for getting drunk, I most certainly don't get the need for drugs. I have had the PRIVILEGE in life to experience what might be termed as PSYCHADELIC episodes simply through meditation. No chemical assistance required. 

However, it is the fact that such experiences do exist for those PREPARED to PRACTICE that so many others seek shortcuts. The thing is, they are deluded as to what is expected from meditative practice. Further, in PARTICULAR, there was a tendency in the 1960s to describe the drug-induced episodes as spiritual when, clearly, they were nothing of the kind. Matters in this regard were not helped because, in some societies (notably in the Andes and India), specific natural herbs have been used for centuries with ceremonial practice. 

We have large sections of our societies labouring under one addiction or another. Even PRESCRIBED drugs have become a severe PROBLEM. How I wish that these PEOPLE could find their way to the addiction that is meditation. That they could learn to trust the PROCESS of PATIENT and dedicated discipline in self-control, self-regulation, self-development.

Truly, the psychedelic experience of PURE meditation knows no PARALLEL. 


16 comments:

  1. Psychedelic, indeed! And very mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older son practiced meditation for awhile. He said it made him feel to much at peace and that wasn't normal and he stopped. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have attained different levels of consciousness after a drink or two. But i don't know if they are spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it... it reminds me of the time as we wore t-shirts with such a design...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that is one big eye ball looking at me😊
    A tentative (first and last) puff on a ciggy made me cough and splutter so there was no way I was going to put anything else into my mouth (with known or unknown effects)
    That doesn’t stop me wondering all these years later if I missed out on anything. My attempts at self led meditation failed miserably and once again I wonder what I’ve missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is today's picture a digital art? Its so attractive, colourful, geometric yet abstract!
    It reminded me of colourful rangolis we used to make on special occasions, mostly festivals, in front of the 'Tulsi Vrindavan' that would welcome all the visitors 365 days a year at our home. While everyday rangoli was a simple affair, the Diwali rangoli used to be an elaborate one.
    As for psychedelic drinks, I love spirits for their taste purely (so there are just a few I love) because I am one of those few who wouldn't get inebriated by them. Meditation is something that I wish to practice more often. Currently I share 'now on and now off' relationship with it as everything else seems to take the priority over it which is not a good idea, I know :(
    -Anagha Yatin
    https://canvaswithrainbow.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this colorful image. I can't remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAM Aunty I saw a joke in the most recent issues of Reader's Digest
    What do you get when a microscope and telescope run into each other? A Kaleidoscope
    I love your photo
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. the this one made me think sci-fi and a round claw clutching the colored part of the eyeball to pull it out and eat it...this means NOT a candidate for my wall. LOL... if I tried to meditate I would drive myself crazy thinking about the what ifs... to turn my brain off, I read a book to shut it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Psychedelic experience i never had it but heard and saw ....ur 1960s reference reminds me a song dum maaro dum mitjaye gham :) meditation does lead to chain of thoughts. I think just going with it helps....

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful mix of colors and shapes today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm have far too much of a need to feel in control of things ever to indulge in any substantially mind altering substances - beyond the occasional and very moderate (but also much enjoyed) glass of beer or red wine.
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sure is a bright and beautiful mandala!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry but the culture of instant gratification is upon us. We can but care for our own minds and bodies and empower others to choose to do likewise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We like your psychedelic illustration for today. It's sad that so many people are caught up in addiction problems. Our mom doesn't imbibe much and said she did enough when she was in college. BOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did a good job on that mandala and the theme. Once in deep meditation I smelled roses as I was mentally walking through gardens with my departed grandmother. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
πŸ™