WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoAZering; T=Thistle


For April, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z, and you will find original images created by me and some ramblings to go with them. I will capitalise words that begin with the featured letter (on first use only). Let me know what you think of the pics, words, or both in the comments! For more of this madness, you can visit Blogchatter.


Oh, prickly plant of hill and glen, 
THISTLE stand there braw; 
metaphor of character for 
Scots, it's said you draw.

TRUE it is we may seem gruff and
bristle at the jaw;
yet ready ever to defend
this land and its law.
(Ⓒ YAM 2022)

As thistles of all kinds are to be found the world over, I have often pondered why we have it as our national symbol here in the Bonny Land. The Onopordum Acanthium, which is considered and called 'the Scotch Thistle', is not native and is likely to have arrived with increased TRADE from other regions of Europe and beyond. It is this invader which Walter Scott picked as the emblem for George IV's visit to Scotland in 1822, and it has been accepted as a national emblem ever since.

The thistle closest to being considered a native is the Cirsium Vulgare, aka the Spear Thistle. This is the one I became so familiar with during hay harvest on my grandfather's farm. It is shorter, straggly, and, if possible, more prickly than its bigger cousin. Handling bales with those things wrapped into the grass put many a finger at risk! Some years were worse than others, but I never did figure out why. Moisture? Drought? I don't recall it ever actually getting discussed. The men just cut the stuff, and we young 'uns gathered it up. Ah... fond memories of summers that were actually hot and seemed endless, the smell of the fresh hay, the call of the larks and swallows high in the sky, sandwiches and flask tea at lunchtime. Not long, got to make the most of the dry and light. Mum and the aunts were at it too. As we kids THREW the bales out the back, they stacked them, six by six, ready for the TRACTOR to haul them aboard a TRAILER and then to the barn.

...ahhhh... TICK TOCK goes the memory clock... half a century, yet yesterday.


18 comments:

  1. Another great piece of art. Love the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing a slice of your childhood summer Yamini. It put me in that sunny spot (minus the cuts). That last line about time is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay baling was definitely hard work, but the smell will be one of the last things to go from my memory banks - even after the memory of weeks and weeks of my childhood spent grubbing introduced species of thistles which were deemed a noxious weed in New Zealnd and we were under obligation to endeavour to control their spread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the artwork, and the memories. I did not know that the the species of thistle used as the emblem is not a native!
    Cheers, Gail .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yam - love the poem ... great description of the pretty prickly thistle - and I love the colours ... have a peaceful weekend?! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Yam,
    What a lovely poem and childhood memory. The Thistle image is pretty, very colorful. It is odd that the nation's symbol is not a native Thistle. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAM fond memories of thistle and summers long ago stick in your mind. I like the poetry and art too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. when the art piece came up, my mind said through a veil darkly. no idea what that means. love your memories of your child hood. my memories are of feilds full of grass and a bull and meadows full of phlox flowers growing wild. red clay dirt that we mixed with water and used old cookie cutters to bake clay cookies into rocks. I do love thistles and you are right, all the places I have lived had them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thistles have disappeared from my place altogether in people's chase after cash crops. I too long for some nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your artwork and poem! Thistles sure are nasty to step on if you happen to be barefoot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Felt so nice to see the slice of your world through your words! It did feel as if it happened just yesterday. I remember having read somewhere that 'Thistle' stands for endurance. May be thats the reason why Walter Scott chose it.
    Loved today's art as well. I thought it to be a jelly fish.
    -Anagha Yatin
    https://canvaswithrainbow.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right, where does time go? You do inspire, YAM! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't realized Thistle was your national plant - I imagined it was heather. Both lovely colors, but I have such sensitive skin prickles do me in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We LOVE this post about Thistles and yesterday's Schism! We have some incredibly LARGE Canadian Thistles that grow around here, some over 2 metres tall. They are considered an invasive species and they are one of the easiest us to eradicate. Yes, Mom remembers the thistles in the hay in Alberta when she worked on a ranch - OUCH! The poem was wonderful (not painful at all) And all the Ss in Schism made Mom laugh out loud! You ROCK! Purrs Marv

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is quite a colourful glimpse into your childhood summers! I love the last line ..tick tock
    .half century ago still just yesterday. Memories are always fresh!


    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tractor tires trampling thistles! Oh, to be that agile again! namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏