WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoizikul; Midweek Musicalisms

Continuing an eclectic mix for July with 'mood' music. It will not surprise you to know that I really enjoy Indian sounds - Hindustani, Carnatic, Jugalbandhi, Ragas and all sorts of sacred sounds. To the western ear, the scales can seem difficult to take in, the rhythms tricky... altogether 'foreign'. Some of these things have been brought west by the likes of George Harrison and Deva Premal, but somewhat sanitised/compromised by introducing western notation. Here is a traditional chant to Ganesha given a modern treatment by an Indian singer who retains all the tradition, but may still be more approachable by the western novice... how do you find it?

9 comments:

  1. Music reminds me of a spy thrillers.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to see why peppy said spy thrillers. the sound to me is as you say foreign and hard on my ears. I am sure your ears would not care for the twangy country songs I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh there are lots of lightning fast beats in this one. It could easily be used as a build up to a mystery.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't do much for me. I"m sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting but we won't be humming it all day tomorrow. Mind you if it doesn't pass the hum test it is unlikely to be an annoying ear worm either. Does it help to understand what is being sung about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Not in terms of the musical appreciation, no. The words are actually a prayer in hymn form and would normally be chanted. Yxx

      Delete
  6. Yes, an interesting listen, but the music doesn't grab me emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess it must be a Western thing. I found the music interesting but not necessarily something I would listen to regularly. But it is still nice to listen to a variety of music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catchy. The rhythm gives a happy feeling to the music. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏