WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoizikul; Midweek Musicalisms

Okay, keeping a slender thread of connection back to the first ripsnorter song, Christmas Truce, do you recall the wonderful operatic voice of Floor Jansen on the end credits? (What, you didn't listen that far??!!! I've a mind to send you back...) Her voice is perfect for the symphonic metal sounds of Nightwish.

In today's video, I have selected one of Nightwish's more 'digestible' songs to introduce you to them. They tend to lengthy story-telling, truly operatic/choral/orchestral in scale. This one is relatively short. You get the strong metal sounds but also lots of lyrical, soft, highly operatic periods. Doug is a full-on fan of this Finnish band. I am fond of some of their stuff but am pickier about which tunes. Unlike my reaction to Sabaton, which is to play it again and give me more, more, more, please! Anyway, one of the attractions of this song is likely to be quite apparent, given most of you know my penchant for the night sky... and I DO remember the Shoemaker-Levy 9 versus Jupiter incident and watching the damaged flypast on my four-inch refractor telescope from my backyard in Sydney. (I also saw Halley's comet there... but I am getting distracted here!) 

Give it a chance, listen to Doug's exposition, and let me have your feedback below!



PS - This is the final reminder. I put out a call to action on the Christmas Eve Post. Please spread the word, and quickly. The Collection Pot is only open until January 13th. 

Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. it's a little bit like magic and there are this kind of wonders and feelings we had as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Yamini:) It was great to watch Doug do his thing while the operatic piece played side by side. My first 'Nightwish' experience-- I liked what I heard. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I enjoyed this song and I googled the lyrics very nice sound! Thanks for sharing. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i jumped around to find the music and some of it I really liked, the operatic part sounds like it belongs ina viking movie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning YAM
    On a steller sea...I really liked those words.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy Doug breaking things down...and the song is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't yet done anything with music, but I been thinking of doing something with music once I get though all the countries and artist. Painters and such.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been a bit busy here, but finally got a chance to listen. Very pleasant music, and the commentary is enjoyable too.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏