WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menokreatikkul; Building Blocks

I have only increased the number of blocks on the new big project by times two. There were five of each in the photo I shared last week; now there are eleven (okay, that's two and twenty per cent).  


I am taking my time. Partly because the yarn is so fine, I can only bear to work with it for a certain amount of time (and the darker one is difficult to work in lamplight). But also because I have started with no pattern and am needing to ponder on what the end product will be. It has grown considerably from just being a short shoulder poncho for sitting at the laptop. I am having quite grand visions involving one of my pet hates... sewing...😶 There is a sari that I had added to the going-out pile, which is made of very fine cotton, which I might retrieve and use as a lining/scaffold for my blocks to form a more formal jacket. The rest of the sari could be turned into a matching skirt or trews... it would be hand-sewing, which I am actually very good at. I just don't like it. When I get determined, though... Keep watching, expect nothing much. It is likely to be at least the new year before any decent results...

In between times, there will be quick and relatively easy items. Using heavier yarn and bigger hooks. Well... I say that... mistletoe streamer, anyone?


A pattern that I inherited from Mum. Let me know if you would like a copy of the pattern. It is a PDF, so I can email it if I have your addy... or put it up on Google Docs. 


I know, I know, we've barely entered October - but these things need time for preparation! Less time is required for wrist warmers, though. They can be done in an evening session. You may recall I mentioned that some yarn turned up with the blocking board? To be honest, I was not expecting much of a wee giveaway like this. However, when I opened it, I found that it was not acrylic as I'd imagined, but a wool blend (possibly polyamide). Really quite nice, but each ball only being about 10 gms (no measure on the labels).

(That's horrible - you can see the difference between OctoKan's camera and that of the Gopika!)
I used the red and white from this packet and incorporated some leftover green from the earlier patchwork blanket project. There was not enough in both the giveaway balls to complete it otherwise, and it meant being 'creative' with non-identical bands.

They both have ten rows - any perception of size difference is purely optical...

Also, they are somewhat narrower than my usual warmer choice, being a little more like sports bands. As these are very clearly intended for two weeks use of the year, that matters not a lot. However, I will have to use three or four balls to get anything that will actually act as a warmer and not just a glorified bracelet! I did use three of the colours for a headband - but again, it is rather less than I would normally want for warming purposes - not more than an Alice band, really. Still, I like it as a change. And that's your yarn fix for this week!



9 comments:

  1. You sure have been busy with your hook. We like all the creations you've come up with and can't wait (but will patiently) to see how the large project with the blocks comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we love the colotrs... and we like the garland idea a lot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mistletoe wreath at the window. super great idea.. the head band/ear warmer and wrist warmers are attractive and keep you warm... the dark color that is hard to work in low light, is my favorite color. its beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW WOW YAM you are Countess of Crocheting. Everything is beautiful.
    I am on a crafting break due to a very very vigorous afternoon of clipping ivy with hand clippers. My elbow has been mor of a hellBOW than an elbow lately but improving.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much yarny goodness! I am looking forward to seeing the finished "blocks" project!

    I do have a bit of a holiday stash after finishing my Chirstmas blanket and would love a copy of the mistletoe wreath!
    Pretty sure you have my addy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sure have been busy with your crochet hook! Everything looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are on a roll, lady. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏