WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menookery; A Bit Of A Tease


I continue to throw the hook around some yarn. I might have fallen down a bit of a creative viewing session on the tubular. This was an adaptation of a bucket hat. Done in an evening. 

I managed a couple of days without a yarn fix. But I am hooked! The orange is not much more than heavy thread, and I have an entire cone of the stuff (part of the inherited stash). It is a single-ply cotton. The other is wool 4-ply. I could have combined them - but am setting myself a challenge, as one of the yields from the tubular dive was how to multiply and 'thicken' a yarn while working. Thus the cotton is becoming "3-ply" by this simple technique of looping the yarn.  It is still not quite as thick as the wool, so there are fewer rounds/stitches in the dark squares in order to match the size. The hook in use for this is a 3.5mm/(US)D. Am creating four-inch squares with a vague notion of some sort of pullover... from which you may surmise I am yet again making it up as I go along! So much for going to the pattern stash... what can I say? It wasn't a deliberate tease...

It became clear these would need proper blocking...
so a quick foray online and some new equipment purchased!





I can average about four squares an evening, so this could take a while... will probably need a minimum of fifty before I can even start to formulate the design. Will it just be a poncho, or become a full-fitted garment? I may have to work on some quick and bright mini-projects in between... The pin board came with some extras; a set of wool needles, some stitch markers to add to my tin, and twelve mini skeins of different colours. Enough for another beanie, maybe??? Watch this space!



18 comments:

  1. Hi Yam - I'd no idea about blocking - so I'm pleased you posted those images. I bought a couple of hats similar to yours ... they look awful on me - so need to pass them on to a friend - later in the year! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beanie, the color and the way it fits. I am feeling a little jealous of your knitting skills. Of course I don't need a blanket or beanie, but I would love to be able to create like you do.... keep on knitting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Quite a few of the cone-wound yarns inherited from Mum are actually this very thin cotton - I guess she was planning a weaving project. But I cannot weave, so discovering the 'loop and work' method of turning it into three workable strands means I can get creative with it. Being cotton, it will be more suited to autumn and spring wear, as am combining it with the wool... but could also produce something specifically for summer/heat... I bet you could crochet if you picked up a hook and some yarn - there are lots of starter videos in the tubular. Yxx

      Delete
  3. You are so gifted with your crochet needle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a brilliant blocking tool..I'm sure there could be other uses for that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I love your hat, very cute. I am amazed it was done in one evening. The blocks are pretty, I like the colors. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it keeps your fingers occupied and your head warm it’s a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving both colors YAM very fallish and OMCs a blocking block for blocks
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful shade of orange. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a cute hat. We can't wait to see what those squares will become some day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We think you look smashing in your hat! Sorry we have been away, Lady got the Covid again and while not that sick, had brain fog and no attention. At any rate, the Man wants us to ask about Irn bru, as it has been banned in Canada. Lee and Phod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      in response to "Man's" query... Irn Bru is NOT banned in Canada. It is a rumour started a few years back because there was one shipment detained by the govt for containing unlisted product of meat origin and which just happened to have Irn Bru and Marmite in the container. It became quite a thing, apparently, prompting the govt to issue a statement that these products are fully available in Canadian stores... although there is a requirement that they are formulated to Can regulation (so slightly diff from the Scottish version).

      If you can get the sugar free Irn Bru, I highly recommend it! Very tasty but without the tongue curling sweetness.

      Cheers! YAM xx

      Delete
  11. The hat is lovely Yam, really suits you.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏