WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Saturday Sounds

Right, here we go with some British bird 'staples' - and maybe one or two lesser-observed varieties.

I am going to start with two of the most commonly observed around the Hutch. I live in the Clyde coastal region of west Scotland, and it is, therefore, unsurprising that seabirds make up the majority of spotting opportunities from my window! It helps that I have a particular fondness for water birds of all types. 


Oh, and I have LOTS of Gull images like this over on my photoblog! This link will take you to a page with just Gulls on display.

In urban areas, Gulls have, perhaps, gained a less than favourable reputation. They are opportunists and adapt to their surroundings well. I like that they mate for life (with some exceptions - there might be 'divorce' if reproduction is below standard, or there can be bereavements - and re-matching can be a tricky business). Also, they tend to be long-lived (avg <>20 years), as long as nothing goes wrong... like the current horror of Avian Flu. There are many different kinds of Gull, but around here, the European Herring Gull and the Lesser Black-backed Gull are ubiquitous. There is quite a range of vocalisations from these birds - but I was rather charmed by this short video provided by the RSPCA - I hope you will be too! (How do I know these are LBbGulls and not the 'Greater'... the yellow legs and being slightly smaller than the Herring Gulls. Greater Black-backs are larger and have pink legs.

13 comments:

  1. Oh yes, such a familiar sound. The "Mine! Mine! MINE!" is so apt!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Yam,
    I just loved your Gull video, the captions were so cute. Well done! Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing photo. Well done! That is a fun video, for sure! Cheerio! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gulls are fascinating birds and if people would take the time to understand them they would agree. I met a fellow in Britain last time I was there who referred to them as “Bloody chip stealers” and I doubt that his views on gulls went much beyond that. Perhaps they think of us as “habitat stealers” or “ocean polluters”, slightly more serious it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gulls are big birds and so pretty but can be so evil as they steal the lunches of peeps at the beach while they are in the ocean swimming☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAM YES I'M SHOUTING WITH GLEE AND JUBILATION. I NEARLY FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR AT
    "mine, mine". I declare Gull Speak are hilarious
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the video! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gulls are everywhere here! even our Walmart parking lot. I often hear the sounds that are on the video while putting my grocieries in the car.. its music to my ears, I am a lover of gulls. Most people are not.. I find that people either love them and despise them.. they do make it hard if someone tries to eat on a blanket on the beach. food has to be guarded, they are famous thieves of food

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS Bryan watched the movie from yesterday's post....said Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Yam :=)
    I loved the short video, it was so funny. The "Mine Mine" was pure genius. I happen to like Gulls of all species, they are attractive sea birds.
    Enjoy your weekend
    Best Wishes
    Sonjia

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting! I love the information you share too. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun video you found. Those gulls were entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gulls can be so entertaining! They are on my "things I miss from California" list for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏