WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menokreatikkul; Spontaneous Spurt

I was starting on a Tunisian crochet project with no pattern and my usual 'let me give this a go' approach. Carrying four yarns together might have been the first error of judgment. Adding in patches of other work which is actually knitted and not crocheted... possibly another. Something will come of it. Eventually.

To ease the grinding teeth and aching jaw, I started another little project that, at first, had no specific purpose to focus on but was a chance to work on an idea gleaned from one of my creative tubular crawls. A puffed patchwork afghan. The yarn has been with me since February 2020 - it was when I was out purchasing this from one of Edinburgh's many charity stores that I am fairly certain I contracted the "weird flu" that only, in retrospect, was understood to have been C19. 

I have henceforth referred to this part of my stash as the Lurgy Yarn. Some of it got used for making the slippers that were the go-to project for that year. There was still an awful lot left. So when I saw someone making little pillows and then fastening them together to make a 'quilt', I knew exactly how I was going to use up most of what remained of it. Only after a family video conflab, though, did it find a proper purpose. 

There's a wee fellow called Joe, who was born just a few months back but has been under surgical treatment for a faulty heart from day one. He is the number four son to Mac2's god-daughter and her husband. I realised that I wanted to put this together for Joe. It is soft and cuddly, and I have named the project Heart Of The Matter. I have never met the family, but they are especially dear to Mac2, my youngest sister, and therefore, become dear to me. Having posted it on the instythingo, I know that it will be well-received. Mac1 is going down to visit, so will deliver by hand.


...oh, and yes, I have started on Mac1's socks... the yarn arrived when she was here, so I know she likes it. I had a mad (and ridiculously bargain) buy-up of yarn from... Temu. Yes, I succumbed. It's frightening, to be frank, how little I spent for an enormous haul to add to my stash. If it is all as fab to work up as this yarn is proving to be, it will have been a genuine treasure trove. This is a cotton and acrylic mix that is just delightful to the touch. Other yarns in the haul are acrylic/wool, and some have mohair or alpaca in their mix. You will, of course, be seeing and reading my views of them as they grow into projects!







16 comments:

  1. That does look soft and cuddly.
    May little Joe find good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I predict little Joe will carry that blanket to a scrap in his pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the family will love that blanket. The socks sure are colorful and we bet Mac1 will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great puffy quilt! I can see it being hauled around a lot.
    I love Tunisian crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The crocheted quilt is quite beautiful. So lovely that I do find myself hoping wee Joe will not throw up on in too often...
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all the best for little joe... we hope you can share good news about him soon .... we love the colors...they are sweet and comfy somehow

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful and practical gift..and looks exceedingly snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Heart of the Matter quilt is lovely, sending my best wishes for little Joe. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Puffy Quilt for little Joe is so precious and will be so cuddly to keep hime warm, prayers for Joe going up to go with your quilt. My Mad Mind was Madly pondering just how you might carry all the yarn in Grey. possibly one of those toppers i see on top of cars/trucks here that look like a clam shell. then I pondered just how big it would have to be and coming up with the answer, the carryall shell would need to be as big as Grey

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful blanket, in thought and in execution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yam what a beautiful cuddly blankie for wee Joe. I send him and his family all kinds a warm well wishes and add my prayers too....so young. I know 10000% his family will feel and see the love in each stitch.
    Mac1 will love her socks too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the gorgeous puffy afghan and we send our very best to wee Joe♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spotted it on your insty feed - well done and best wishes for the wee'n. The socks are nothing if not colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The puffy quilt is especially pretty. What a lovely gift for little Joe and his family. I will keep him in my prayers. Those are some flashy socks in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of you craftwork is so nice, but we do really love that special blanket. All the best to wee Joe to be healthy and strong soon.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏