WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Of The Land

Last week, my newspaper released one of its documentary films, which immediately captured my interest... and tugged at my heart. I will share it with you shortly, for I think you will all enjoy it just as much as I, for all sorts of reasons.

First, though, let me explore a little of why it struck me so deeply. Long-term and attentive readers will recall mentions here and there of my ancestors' rural roots. On my father's side, his father had left the crofting to move into forestry down by Invergordon... but his father had been a Skye crofter who then moved across to Kinlochbervie/Oldshoremore to marry into a crofting family there. (Click that image to biggify.)

A few of you may recall a video I shared back in 2017, which was filmed very close to that place (in fact, Oldshoremore gets mentioned a couple of times in it). Much of that wee film resembles what you will see in this modern version from Norway.

On my mother's side, there were five generations of shepherds/smallholders (not called crofting in the Border region), ending with my uncle Andrew... though when he sold the farm, two paddocks were kept and a home built, so he still has his feet on the land. Until the 1970s, the family farming had been done in the glen at Meggethead. Then, a reservoir was required, and the Megget Valley was deemed the ideal spot. My grandparents and Andrew were relocated over the hills above Buckholm, where my uncle still lives. They went from sheltered, lush swards at around 550 feet above sea level to over 1000 feet above sea level and hilltop exposure. Lambing, always challenging (as you will see), became a real chore. I can recall assisting in my younger years in the darkest February nights, in the shelter behind dykes to protect from snow drifts. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... I can also remember helping to stook the newly mown hay, which my elders and male cousins had quite literally scythed by hand, in much the way you would have seen in that 1940s film. Then, in 1966, Andrew was in charge enough to command a move into the 20th century and along came...combine harvester and an automated hay baler!!! I shudder to think how we kiddies, even under the age of ten, were expected to muck in and clamber all over that machine with no sense of health and safety.

So many of those smallholdings have been subsumed into ever-expanding superfarms, and the sense of society that once existed between farming neighbours has been severely eroded. Yet, there is a movement back towards those more independent, community-focused forms of farming. Hedgerows are being replanted, and the field edges are being left for wildflowers to encourage a renewal of badly damaged ecosystems. It is this concept which drives Rakel, the star of the video. You will find in this short documentary an echo of the northern Scottish crofts and the lowland Scottish hill farms, as well as the love of connection to the land and the dedication to the livestock. You will see sheep and their lambs, glorious scenery, and feel the emotions of the family dynamic that struck deep cords within me. 


I would note here that today marks the 45th death anniversary of my shepherding grandad, the man by whom I tend to measure all men.


14 comments:

  1. I don't have the patience to watch documentaries, but for some reason, docus like this fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to Torridon shortly so will watch the video later to a background soundtrack of sheep enjoying their winter feeds close by!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh we love such stories... the mama is a farm girl too , she was the only one who was farmers material , the rest of the family was more dissenting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many times smallholders and crofters were shifted to lower grade land...if any land atall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will endeavour to watch that over the weekend. It is reassuring to find that the principles of land husbandry are finding a resurgence. We never own it, are only guardians for future generations and it seems that in my lifetime the guardians were only trying to rape Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Yam - lovely to be able to read about your early life - so fascinating to read about ... and I'll enjoy the film in the near future. Thanks for letting us know about it - and I do hope everyone can pay more attention to nature and the fact it's our future. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replacing hedgerows is a significant step to restoring wildlife and I hope the trend continues and expands throughout the British Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a lot of hard hard work! not something I could or would do but I get it. the faces of the sheep are heart melting, and no nine to five with bosses pushing us to do things we know are impossible. no ceo to push us. I like that part. and the world needs more people and farms like these. really eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recently watched a young Scottish shepherd with 2 of the most amazing sheep dogs, Storm and April. I remain astounded how the man and the smart pups...communicate with just whistles and a few words. Storm and April ran so fast sometimes they turned in to specks in the field. Granddad was a cat lover I see.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this. Lovely film about good lives. I very much like the pictures of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...what a powerful message to move to small self sustaining farms for global food security...something to really thin about! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so interesting going back to our ancestors. Yours are fascinating. I wish my birth mother had been more friendly!!! I only met her the once. sigh. XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great video and lovely story. I had to look up what crofter meant.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏