WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoizikul; Midweek Musicalisms

Our final trip to India. For now. Let's leave it with intensity and pure art... 

I am a huge fan of Vishal Bhardwaj's interpretations of Shakespeare's great trilogy; Maqbool, Omkara and Haider (Macbeth, Othello and Hamlet). They are tour-de-force repositionings of the works in modern Indian settings, displaying the eternal relevance of certain truths about human nature and societal happenings. Today's offering is taken from Haider, and - for those less familiar with the goings on in Hamlet - this is the part where the prince accuses his uncle and mother via the mode of a play within the play... Shahid Kapoor playing the prince is both athletic and mesmerising as the music is brought to life by the dance. I hope you will enjoy this as much as I do... and I cannot recommend the films highly enough to anyone who likes to see how Shakespeare travels! Maqbool is on Prime, YouTube and Apple, and Omkara is on Prime, YouTube and Google... sadly Haider is currently only available on Zee5 - I have it on DVD, but even that can be hard to track down now. Definitely worth it to search out, though!

6 comments:

  1. A truly compelling piece of video. Thanks! What a shame the Haider film is not more readily accessible.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I saw Hamlet, was in 1962 in English Class high school. Would never have guessed this was that for sure. These dancers are spectacular.. Not the Shakespeare of my youth for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great video and interpretation, the dancers are fantastic. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish my knees would bend like that. I like the music and the talented dancers
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing song video from my one of favourite movie Haider, Shahid Kapoor outstanding.
    Always loved Vishal Bhardwaj ji's works. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏