WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menondering; Drumpellier Idyll

I have told you a little about Hogganfield Loch and the Seven Lochs Wetlands Park. I must get back and try to visit all the lochans in the area. Not all of them have car parks, so a bit of planning is involved. This is mainly because they are all linked by cycle/walking paths. 


























As it is, I stretched myself walking around Hogganfield both days I was there. Slow progress, as lots of folk and dogs to stop and natter with. As well as sitting with the geese.

When we moved to Drumpellier, we found an even more delightful setting—I would even say idyllic—for an urban setting. There was a much larger car park and much quieter at night. There was also a visitor centre with toilets and a cafe. There was also a water fountain for filling up the tank. Thank you, Scottish Water!



As you can see from that map, there is quite a bit of walking to be done here. We arrived late afternoon, so we didn't explore too much at that point. In the morning, at 05:30, I did the circumnavigation—another one measuring two km/one and a quarter miles. 




After lunch, I got rash and decided to head for the canal. This proved to be a further stretch than I'd really factored in and added a further two miles to my quota for the day. It also took well over three hours because I met three different people to spend lengthy times chatting with, not to mention lots of dogs who just had to be loved on for a minute or two. During that time, I got rained on - and endured a battering from a fall of hail! Crazy summer.


























I have to say, the canal disappointed me a bit, so there are no photos of that. It is possible that I didn't quite reach the actual banks, the path not being all that obvious at that end. Anyway, I slept well that night!

I also received word from Ford that The Grey could go back for the final work, so the next morning, as mentioned to you previously, it was back into Glasgow for that. 

Tomorrow, you will see part two of this wonderful place, with more about its nature.

19 comments:

  1. wow that is interesting... a whole canal is under a motorway... like magic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urban idylls are extra precious. Nobby and are are super impressed by the plus three mile walk. You could be an Olympic Rollator Champion!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw those water bottle top up taps in Leicester last week and thought they were a great idea. The colour makes them easy to spot too. Hope all is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Those fountains are a true gift - and things a bit hectic this side just now, but going okay, ta... Yxx

      Delete

  4. Hogganfield Loch and Drumpellier must be so lively and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the first photo of The Grey parked up is beautiful. so peaceful and no people in sight. which is my desire right now.. less cars, less people... Florida is full of Lochs in all directions.. I had no idea how many there are in Scotland. glad you got the repairs done and wow on that long walk.. the thing about walking is at some point you have to turn around an do it again or make a giant circle... no wonder you slept well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t know whether this makes me a curmudgeon but the last thing I need when out for a walk is people stopping to talk to me. The other day I was locked onto a really interesting beetle, definitely something I had not seen before with several interesting characteristics, and a couple came right up alongside me, stepped on the ferns and the beetle scurried off. They insisted on trying to chat and seemed as interesting as mouldy cheese. I feel the same way when flying. All I wish to do is quietly read my book. I am not interested in talking to you, hearing about your grandchildren, your dietary preferences, medical history or the reason for your trip. Just leave me alone, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Perhaps a tad curmudgeonly! However, I understand. A lot of the time I am perfectly happy to walk in isolation... but these parks are particularly relaxed and friendly and, frankly, I quite enjoyed the interactions. I am quite good at "I won't hold you back" phrasing in order to move on!!! Yxx

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    Beautiful scenes and photos, I love the whale tail with the swans nearby. It is a shame that each place does not have it's own car park, some of the walking distance is too far. I always stop for the doggies on the trail, yesterday we met a man walking two Bernidoodles, they were happy dogs and so cute. Take care. have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAM this is absolutely breathtaking....I feel calmer just having read it and seen your photos.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing place, Beautiful photos, Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure are on your feet all the time! Way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely place to stay and explore. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such gorgeous views today, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a pleasant and long walk and beautiful as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your really have upped your walking mileage. Are you feeling better for it? I love the lake with the whale tail in it - it's not connected to the sea to is it? They couldn't have chosen a leaping trout perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      Well I'm certainly none the worse except for exhaustion by the time I get back! As for the sculpture, it's a freshwater loch and it was all I could do to even find the info provided in comments on Monday. Yxx

      Delete
  15. This sounds like an interesting place to see.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏