WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; A Nature Friday Offering

Yesterday, I promised a few views of my favourite park up in New Lanark. One day, I will get down the very, very big hill into the historical mill village (and be able to get all the way up again), but in the meantime, just traversing that part of the hill that takes me from where I park The Grey at the topmost tier of parking areas, down to the main part where the bins all congregate is challenge enough for now. This first image is taken looking side-on at The Grey's spot... I use this area almost exclusively, but move around into different positions according to light and how busy the rest of the place is.


Most other campervans and motorhomes go down to the main part, or the other two tiers, so it is rare indeed that we have company up here. We like it that way! We are joined by squirrels, rabbits, various birds, notably a cheeky pair of Robins who like the odd crumb... and there was a deer the other day!

Looking out from the cab, we see this...


...and even in the rain, it is still so beautiful. Some of the trees here are well over 20m tall! Beech, Aspen, Hazel, Larch, Birch... a big variety. 

When faced with the hill back up from the base park, this is the view...


It's difficult to emphasise just how steep that is. Anywhere between a 30 and 45-degree angle! Now, from the base park, one can take a footpath down into the village, but that gets even steeper in places... and with the Rolls-later, it would be almost deadly for me to attempt. One can just see the main mill building from the base park...


Now, notice all that grass? It was being mown as I took this shot. From behind those tall shrubs, out popped the greens keeper with a big smile.

"You contemplating yon hill, hen?" 

"I was, but am rather thinking it's not designed for me or my donkey here."

"Och, why dae ye no just drive doon?"

"...erm, because there are signs specifically forbidding it?"

"They only put those up to discourage the majority. There is parking there, and you'd be fine using it." He then proceeded to explain how to go through the big white gates, turn left, and there would be plenty of parking. But not for overnight; that was only up here. As he was wearing the uniform of the New Lanark Trust, I was inclined to accept what he said as true. 

Had the weather held, I may well have taken Grey down there for a couple of hours. However, by the time I had trudged back up that hill, one of the several very nasty squalls was coming through (see the video below), and it stayed for a good hour or so. Thus, the drive down will have to await another visit! I did take the opportunity, via this gentleman (whose name I completely forgot to ask), to compliment the Trust for providing such generous spaces and welcome to overnight stays (at only £3 for 24 hours, or £75 for 28 days). It really is a haven. Even when the storms rage through...



17 comments:

  1. That was a big, windy storm! For times you cannot drive Grey down the long hill and up again, have you thought about a portable electric scooter? I checked the internet and see several for about $600.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      I have, but for different reasons... More to do with going into towns where parking is difficult or on longer trails than I could comfortably walk. However , storage in the van is the issue... Yxx

      Delete
  2. Charming place and it looks so deserted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth a visit..and with overnighting like that, really good Indeed.
    With reduced mobility could you get a blue badge? Just a thought. It really helped Pirate. Not that every blue badge parking slot would be big enough for the Grey, but something to bear in mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      The fact is that with the rollator I'm quite capable of at least a mile walking so would fail the assessment of need. I have considered applying but frankly I'd feel a bit of a fraud. Maybe if mobility worsens... Yxx

      Delete
  4. What a pretty spot! Take care, have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The area looks stunningly beautiful. I assume that the blue badge that gz mentioned is what we called a handicap permit, also blue and displayed in the car. It frustrates me that so many people abuse this and park in spots reserved for people who need them, and there seems to be no enforcement at all. So don’t feel like a fraud, YAM. Go for it, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. were you out in the rain taking that video, I see you are up, rollator is down the hill.. it is such a lovely spot, and one I would choose too. and that is really cheap. wow on the price of staying there. it is best to not get the blue badge until you absolutely MUST... having to make your self walk with your donkey keeps you walking, walk as much as you can and save the badge for when you just can't... beautiful post today, wish I could have heard the lawn guy speaking. love me some Scot accent

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yam - that sounds an ideal place to visit, stay or just hang around in ... and how nice to know you can drive to the bottom to the mill - gosh those squalls have been chilly - enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAM this post is full of lovely greenery. I would not attempt going down that hill on my feet BECAUSE I would end up on my Tushie. Video captured the storm and audtio well
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing place, Loved the video

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such wonderful scenery...was that a cemetery I glimpsed in the video? I can only imagine the history of the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om
      A cemetery indeed, well spot! On another visit I may venture over...Yxx

      Delete
  11. What a lovely place to spend some time. We hope you get down to the lower level next time you visit.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏