WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoffagainorrhoea; House Of Dun

For the Saturday of our three days together, Aitch and I opted to wander around the grounds of the historic House of Dun. Had the weather turned unpleasant, we would have taken the interior tour. However, summer decided to stick around, so it was easy to remain on the exterior. That doesn't mean we didn't appreciate the architecture from that angle. Back, front, side-on...




The last one was taken from within the walled garden, which was beautiful. Lots of pretty pictures from that to share here tomorrow. Here's a teaser, though...




There were several little nooks like this to sit and enjoy. From this tended and tamed section, we moved outwith the walls and down a path to the little burn, across a bridge, from which we scanned foliage and waterfall that hinted at possible dinosaurs... or, at least, a lizard or two.




Up the other side of the little valley and through to the old walled garden, now overgrown with cow parsley and other wildflowers. Tucked to the back of this stands the ruins of a chapel and the burial grounds of the Erskine family and other denizens of Montrose. Lushly green and refreshing on what had turned out to be quite a hot day.


After this, we drove a little way north of Montrose to Kinnaber Forest, where we walked to the back of the dunes in search of a cache. Despite lots of beating about various fallen trunks over quite an area this one had to be recorded as a 'did not find'. Just occasionally, despite all efforts, the target eludes the seeker. It wasn't a waste of time to have made that side trip, however, for we spotted lots of wee jumping things, heard the Yellowhammers (with one possible sighting), sighted a Peregrine Falcon... and I realised I had found yet another fine little spot for a night park up.

I dropped Aitch back to the B&B and rolled back to the Ferryden waterside park for one more night. Sunday was going to be quite different again...


11 comments:

  1. Next time I'm at St Cyrus I think I'll make a short diversion to Kinnaber Forest, a spot I've previously ignored.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a wonderful place...I would love to take a tour there ... it is a little to be back in a different time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice garden to have a sit and wander..and good to have a wet weather alternative

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all spectacular photos and the 3rd down of the house looking through the flowers is my favorite. that photo 2nd from bottom is stunning of all those gorgeous plants. I googled the plant I love the most and it says giant rhubarb. love it and the trellis on the bench is so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful place, the outside is lovely! It is nice to have the weather for walks outdoors. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a place that merits a return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 100% wonderful each photo. My new curved screen gave me the feeling of being surrounded by all the beauty
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful house and gardens and I love the sundial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful gardens, I cant wait to see more.

    When I look at the beautiful Chapel ruins and burial grounds, I can only imagine the dates of the burials...So much history!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely place to visit. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏