WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoluschable; Eye Beholden

I mentioned last Thursday that Mac1 and I took the time to visit three different art exhibitions. First, there was the incredible—and indelible—work of El Anatsui. The other two were both at the National Gallery and fit into one day.




The Royal Scottish Academy "Frontiers" presentation was a promotional show for up-and-coming Scottish artists who, if not already accepted into the RSA, are on their way to it. There were only two that I honestly couldn't find merit in (bearing in mind that even if not to one's taste, there is usually something that one can find to remark positively upon). There were several I might question as to taste, but could see the artistry and skill that brought them to attention. Then some demanded one sit a little longer and study from one angle, then another...


Always fun, too, recognising that so much depends on the eye of the beholder. Mac1 and I agreed on several but diverged on others, making the viewing most interesting. We did both agree on three in particular, though. The fabric and impasto work you see me ruminating on above (which was way better than these photos give credit); the large panel of abstract blue and grey and pink...




...and then there was the 'carpet' of small boards by John Brown, which he called "A Part Of The Observable Universe." There are about 500 mini-works, all on black background, with some being entirely imaginary, and others cosmological, whilst others were ordinary everyday things, given a bit of a twist.




We spent considerable time working around all sides and continually finding new things to admire. Several made us chuckle, others had pathos, and some felt portentous. All the wee boards could be bought separately at a very reasonable cost. So, you know, in the interests of being a patron of the arts...


After that was done and dusted, we took the lift to the attic floor to view "Irish Impressionist." This collection was about the Irish-born "Glasgow Boy," Sir John Lavery. This was my sister's choice and not something I might have picked to visit myself... but happy to tag along. Golly, am I glad I did! Although familiar with the collective works of this art movement, I don't believe I had any notion of this particular individual, which is now corrected, for I was blown away by the beauty of his paintings. It is not something I would collect, but it is definitely artwork to admire and find oneself being drawn into the scenes/rooms presented before one.



These photos give no credit to the amazing value of the light Lavery painted. His ability with water and reflections in it caught my breath. He was also a very fine portraitist. Here are two of my favourites.



On the other days, we did the puzzles I showed you before and did house things like laundry and shopping. It was a lovely week - and we only had a couple of days of wet weather. A great sisterly relaxathon!

 

3 comments:

  1. I too was not familiar with Lavery but now I join you in admiration of his paintings. The first two especially catch my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: Must make time to visit the National Galleries in Edinburgh some time this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is wonderful... and we agree... no photo can show the beauty of some art pieces, you have to see it with your own eyes...

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏