WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Monday is menosukhi day - the one in which I go all sentimental. For a while this means you are sharing my memories of two darling creatures, Jade Dog MacWoof and Jasper Cat MacMeow.

Well now, I said last week there were not too many stories of the J's left - but that means there are still some!  Mostly it just requires my remembering them .  I was helped in this one by Kay's comments on last week's entry.

It involved the matter of bedtime.  I am sure all my pet-loving blog-mates are familiar with their pets' bedtime behaviours and they are generally as individual as the owners.  What I loved about the J's was that they appeared to have an arrangement, some secret signal, about who would go and settle first in the appointed place, paving the way for the second to come curl up.

Yes they usually slept together.  Not always.  But mostly.  Neither was it always the same one who sent the signal. 

If it was Jasper's turn, he would go through that elaborate yawning and tail stretching that cats can do.  Then he'd sit for a bit, pondering the size of the atom before him.  This would be followed by a wink in Jade's direction and off he'd go - either to the low divan or over by the fire.  The season dictated that matter!

When it was Jade's turn to 'make bed', mostly she would just go over to where Jasper was at the time, sniff him all over and maybe lick his ears or occasionally I would see a little 'chuck' under the chin from her nose.  Then she'd go to the place of rest and turn in circles and paw the 'mattress' as dogs are wont to do before settling and looking over to see if he was coming to join.

They both, of course, got to sleep in my room overnight.  It's a given, really.  It also goes without saying that, on that queen size bed, I was the one usually hanging onto the edge so as not to fall out!! 

Jasper loved to sleep down by my tummy - and in the winter, if he could get away with it, that meant UNDER the duvet!  He had the great good sense to only do this when I was dead to the world.  I'd wake at whatever hour and think "It's cosy in here"…. Tsk.  Jade knew better than to try getting under but she always wanted to be as close as she could possibly get - and that meant really, really close.  You've seen it with puppies.  One on top of the other.  Completely natural for dogs.  A wee tad confining for humans.  (But man didn't  I miss that when she died!)

There would be times, such as parents of young children may be familiar, when all would go quiet and still and one would be wondering what was going on… on one or two occasions it was this…..
  



Or when they got really cheeky, this....

Yes, I DID make the bed - which one of them had managed to pull the covers back I have no idea!!

On other occasions, the quiet was because of other mischief - but that's for another post.

What was nice for me is that I knew they had each other on the occasional nights I had to stay at a friend's or go to camp.  I could just say to the neighbour what the food ration was for the weekend, but that otherwise they were just to be left to it.  'Uncle' neighbour was perfectly happy having his cuppa and throwing the toy for Jade for half an hour to make sure she got some running exercise and that Jasper got his shoulder cuddles for the day and I'd come back to happy pets who, nevertheless, were super glad to see me return.

They never liked to see me packing of course.  But that too is for another time.




Do pay BOZO a visit and pop over to see what news is in the Canine Chronicles this week!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Auntie Yam,

    I use to like sleeping with mum on her bed, but I don't anymore as I cannot get off the bed on my own now.

    Oh and I hate it when the bag comes out to get packed, but if my bag comes out too then I know it is ok as I am going tooooooo.

    Lady Vicki xxooxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari Om
    Oh LV I think nearly every dog in the world knows that feeling!! Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This are wonderful memories! Of course they make us reeders feel sentimental too and thats ok. Thanks for sharing!

    Liebe Grüße,
    Pia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om, Yam! I love these entries. And you know, that Jasper is a BIG lad. But he's cute. See? I'm going soft. Totally losing it. Indigo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories! Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindy doesn't sleep on our bed, and doesn't really want to. We invited her up a couple of times when she was afraid of thunder, but she didn't stay. She does like to be nearby, however.
    Your photos reminded me of the days when I lived on my own with two cats and a dog. One cat liked to sleep by my right shoulder, the other by my left knee, and even though I'm claustrophobic, I didn't mind.
    The dog would sleep on the floor right beside the bed, and I'd have to swing my legs wide when I got up. I found myself still doing that for several months after she died.
    Lindy is on the floor several feet behind me right now, snoring and snoring. She often goes to Dick's office to sleep, and makes his work space even tighter than it already is because she's right beside his chair. She sleeps beside my chair when I'm at my computer in the evening.
    Love your photos, especially of Jasper under the duvet. LOL
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would on occasion have four cats on my bed, but then again, I have a huge king size one! Wuppie would love to snuggle up in the crook of my knees, Mathilda preferred under the covers, Linette on the pillow beside me and Sophie at the foot of the other side of the bed. I miss that. It always felt very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hari OM
    Pia - to know that others are touched also is part of the deal for me - so thanks for saying so!! xx

    Indigo - Really? You?! &*<> Yes Jasper was quite the thoro'bred 'quarter horse' build' and weighed a full 6.5 kilos... so the old shoulder knew about it when he was around. A full Jassie post coming up next week. xx

    Taffy - gggrrwoowwfff!! &*> xx

    Kay and Lindy - A bit of me wished that Jade would stay on the floor 'cos it meant lots of laundry as you may imagine... but still... xx

    Mara - oh wonderful - yes Jasper's second choice place was on the pillow! xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏