WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menordinary

Here we are on a Monday and for the first time in ages, I have little to offer. Perhaps a little round-up of what happened once I got back to the Hutch from the extended stay in Edinburgh?

Mac1 drove me back, you will recall, to get the plaster cast removed and I migrated to the full splinted strapping brace. Am still wearing that at week ten. There has been some improvement, as can - more or less - type again and can do some of the lighter grasp or lift tasks in the kitchen... and I can do up my hair more normally instead of the rather idiosyncratic side-chignon that was being managed one-handed. Can also dress a little more quickly and with less cussing and I take the brace off now for showering, though still can't hold the flannel or soap to actually wash with that hand yet. There was a night last week when I turned over in bed and the left naturally wanted to support me.

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Not yet you idiot.

There are one or two other things which I am naturally returning to my left-tendency to do but discovering that things are not as mended as the brain seems to think they are! Gail's cautionary words resound in mind...

I was not alone for long. Ten days after depositing me, Mac1 was back at the Hutch, this time with Miss E in tow and both their Celtic harps (clarsachs). It was Mod time and it was being held in this fair toon (lovely slideshow on that link). A festival of words and music in Scottish Gaelic. Mac1 has been learning to play the clarsach since the Maestro passed away and her teacher, Miss E, was Maestro's good pal. Mac1 entered the Elementary Competition and gained her silver medal.

The pair of them stayed from the Tues evening through till the Saturday morning and every night I was serenaded with harp duos and joyous voices. Even joined in with a tone or two myself. Mac1 and I managed to attend several of the events around town whilst Miss E engaged with her other pupils and fellow teachers. It was a most fulfilling and uplifting few days.

Another fortnight passed with me focusing on exercising and recuperating, then Mac1 returned for a couple of nights. During that Saturday, she came with me in Little Ren. I needed to (A) know that she would start up again after so long being unused and that (B) I would be able to drive.

The first part was most gratifying. Fired up nae bother ataa'. The next bit was interesting. The handbrake was wedged properly shut. Even Mac1 struggled to unleash it. Nothing a good bash with the handbook couldn't fix though. There was no stopping me then. Despite the severe storm lashing about us, I drove down to show Mac1 Toward lighthouse, which she had not been to in all my nearly five years here. Ren ran smooth as silk; the same might not be said of my gear-shifts, but on the whole, I managed well. We did a big grocery shop whilst she was here to carry the stuff up for me. That was a week ago now. My intention is to drive over to Edinburgh next weekend for another visit with the father and maybe even a bit more adventure than that. We'll see how it goes.

Will have wee Jock with me this week. He was due to spend time with me the week I broke my wrist. His owner, to remind you, is the lovely new upstairs neighbour in the block who has become a good pal. She, it was, who drove two hours to get to Dunoon hospital and collect me after my arm had been set. You might imagine my dismay when she announced last week that she is looking to sell the flat and move again! I do understand her rationale (she's really only using it three nights a week) for wanting to move to a less costly place... but it's a wee while away yet and I have been assured that Jock will come and visit from time to time! I hope he hasn't forgotten what I look like - or where the treat tin is!!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Yam - glad things are progressing ... it's not til something like this happens that we realise how reliant we are on both limbs! Good luck with everything ... it seems like improvement is well on its way - and am glad to see you have people visiting ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Golly Aunty you had lots to offer today. Thank you for the most informative update. I recall some years ago when the Woo's mom broke her wrist which required surgery she had lots of weeks of healing and some rehab too. Hang in there.
    I dearly love harp music and I can almost hear it in my Mind's ear.
    Give Jock a pet for us. Dang it I really am sorry he and his mom will be moving.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to believe it has been 10 weeks with your wrist. However Chris hurt his hand in Feb and was just cleared for active duty Wednesday. The body can take a long time to heal. I am glad slowly you are getting better. Proud of Mac1 for her achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful to know you are progressing, though far too slow for the likes of either of us, I am sure. I love the car driving maneuvers. What we won't do to get around! It takes bone so long to heal! But watching it happen on the x-rays is priceless. Even my minor hairline fracture has new bone mending it to the old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look like things are moving along, and be thankfull your not dealing with medicine 100 years ago
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you... for me to take a shower was the horror during that time... I didn't fear the pains but Mark who tried to support me ;O)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is sad news about your neighbor moving, I know all about that and understand how it feels. glad you can drive again and that Ren was working after the long sit still... I enjoyed your post, hearing about your life and plans for more driving. you and I had the same problem. yesterday I sat trying to do the weeks post and had nothing. by end of day I had 'conjured' up a lot about nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I had been wondering about what all was going on in the background to keep you up and going. Losing good neighbors is sad. Many of our neighbors from our early years of marriage have passed to another level. But as for the pup remembering you, yes, Jock will probably do so. He will certainly remember the treat team! Keep healing. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the pups don't forget us!
    "Nothing a good bash with the handbook couldn't fix though."
    I'm happy you can drive. That must be a relief, as well as showering and all!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏