WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menorlunarickety; touch and go - or hide and seek...

I know, I know... others have shown off their fabby fotos of the full eclipse. It was two weeks back - already forgotten? What did the YAMster do about it, given her penchant for the cosmos and photographicking?

Wellllll. You recall last week I showed off a thru-the-kitchen-windie shot of the rising moon? That was very nearly the best of it. At that same time and through that same pane of glass, I stretched the Hisstix's lens to the full 25x and got this;


(In fact, there was a slightly better frame, but that's being kept for the actual photoblog.) This starts to show a growing problem of the evening.

Yup. Haze. The kind of haze that rises on icy nights. Dry icy nights at that. This image of Li'l Ren kinda shows you how it was down here at ground level.


Much (MUCH) later in the night, I readied myself. The whole show didn't start until 0230h of the 21st here and was scheduled through till about 0530h. Apart from that crystalline haze dropping as frost below, viewing was proving grand.

Then, at the appointed time, as the sky-darkening began to give over to the first stages of the penumbra, there appeared a halo. That freezing haze was building. Naturally, as the shadow drew across the moon, the visibility also closed down - not due to loss of light, but because of the Big Sky Squid squirting its ink clouds. They came in apace and by the time the half-moon phase was forming it became impossible to get any kind of image at all.   SIGH...  I present you with the initiating halo as taken first by the Hisstix and then by Fudge.


There is no denying that when it comes to the cosmos, Fudge wins the imaging race lens down. The remaining few shots from the night will appear here tomorrow. There can never be enough moon shots. Can there?


11 comments:

  1. Oh my word this is absolutely a stunning series of photos!!! Love Li'l Ren...I don't think I knew it was red or if I did I forgot!! We'll call the dry ice moon dust!!
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The car to me looks like it ought be part sci fi plot. A novel or movie.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big sky squid, eh! Which cloud is he behind? It's OK, though. That hula hoop makes up for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Fudge indeed did a great job with the halo.
    But there is a reason why space observatories are not built in the Atacama Desert or Australia and not the west of Scotland....
    Cheers! Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yam - the eclipse is always special ... however one sees it ... love your shots - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that are super photos!!! we had the same weather... I normally accept winter as an inevitable evil, but this year I wish it would disappear immediately...

    ReplyDelete
  7. the last one is my favorite. both cameras did well with you holding them. glad I don't have that kind of icy look out my window and for that I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never ever enough moon shots! Enjoyed the shots out of both cameras!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrying different cameras for different purposes is heavy work. Fudge did that halo wonderfully. That 25x with the new one is pretty amazing, too.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏