WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoSundays; Life Lived Lovingly

Here, again, is the story so far in our exploration of the shatripuu:
Part One - structure
Part Two - the effort
Part Three - kaama/desires
Part Four - krodha/anger
Part Five - lobha/greed
Part Seven - madaa/arrogance etc
Part Eight - maatsarya/jealousy

Shatripuu... if you want to be as accurate as possible in pronunciation, put your teeth together as if for English 'sh' then bring the tongue up behind them to soften the sound. Not an 'ess' but not a 'sh' either. Then the 't' is not really a tee but a flattened 'd', with the tongue getting in the way again.

Worry not. Reading it as I have written, is quite sufficient!

Well, dear readers, we come full circle to the prevailing question: what makes a 'good person'? The purpose of these recent explorations of the Sanskrit concept of personality 'enemies' was to understand that lines can be very blurry. What is good and what is not good can vary according to where we stand ourselves.

There are some folk who carry the burden of an excess of all the traits discussed. Most of us, though, are burdened with but one or two. The most common one - and it manifests in surprising ways - is krodha.

from Nice PNG
Anger can arise even when working on our self-development according to the shatripuu. Frustration at what we perceive as failure is very common. I know I often find myself castigating my efforts... 'you daft old woman... you idiot... what the **** d'ya think yer doin'??!!!' Oh yes, I have been known to be very angry at myself! Such self-directed anger is no less damaging than anger which bursts out into the wider social circle. Only then, the hurt and shock it brings can engender resentments, counter-anger, fear, even violence.

Anger is in the same order of mental disturbance as depression. It is why there is so much help available to those with 'anger issues'.

Biologically, anger was built into us for defence. It is the 'fight' part of fight or flight and triggers the flow of catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine). Some of us are endowed with higher levels of 'responsive' tendencies. Our autonomous nervous system working at a shorter trigger point than others. This leads many folk to say, "I'm just wired that way." Which is true, to a point.

The one thing humans have over every other animal is the ability to self-regulate our emotions. We can be taught resilience, self-monitoring, how to avoid triggering situations and such like.

All we have to do to bring a balance into our lives, then, is make the decision to change. To adapt and evolve.

We are blessed with such choice, as the human critter. Yes, it is often easier just to surrender to the animal instincts - but are we not more ambitious than that? Do we not all wish to be the very best example of humanity that we can be? WE CAN DO THIS - IF WE CHOOSE TO DO SO.

Are we a good or bad person? I think that none of us is ever wholly good. The demands upon the personality for that are far above what the majority are prepared to put effort into. We can, though, always attempt to be better.

Equally, none of us is wholly bad. Oh yes, there is the question about the school shooters and other such desperadoes. REMEMBER - this is about the average human being and not about those who have serious mental imbalance. This discussion is for the vast majority of 'normal' folks who just want to live life. Some, for all sorts of reasons, are walking on the darker side of life, but given a door to walk through which permits light to enter, they are likely to take it. This is evidenced by all the wonderful programs around the world which are community-driven. In particular where youth is concerned.

So, for we here in a tiny back corner of the internet, all we can expect of ourselves is to always be striving for something just that bit better in any given day - any moment of each day. Perhaps the shatripuu can help that self-assessment, providing a measure.


One of the processes required for self-improvement is forgiveness. This will be explored next week.

For a peek at an article related to 'good and bad', click HERE, or the image below.







10 comments:

  1. My trigger has always been short, the trigger for anger... my flashpoint is low. so was my dad's, my mother and my brother had zero flashpoint. I married not one, but 3 times, each of them had the same flashpoint as me. so all of this was very interesting as was your Lines to draw or not to draw. still thinking about all in both articles.. at least you made me think.
    The lines between what is right and what is wrong shift and slither in a serpentine manner. I copied that from your Lines to Draw... that is what I am thinking on. my dad had LINES about right and wrong, and I always thought he was right. but now my lines are slithering back and forth.. what I always believed I now question. but of course the quick anger is always there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thank you for this wonderful self-observational feedback, Sandra. Prompting deeper thought is all that is required of these pieces - and I am glad you enjoyed the other article also. Yxx

      Delete
  2. I always think back to a quote I saw on a pillow:
    Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are and of all the things you can be...be Kind.
    I really do try to practice the Golden Rule.
    My downfall is learning to be kind to folks who are just plain mean and and don't care what you think.
    Hugs HiC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I come from a family that is slow to anger, a characteristic I think I share. (I don't recall my father raising his voice in anger once during his whole life). However, as you say, anger is built into us for a reason, and balance is all. Too high a threshold for anger can be problematic too. Sometimes anger is the right response!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      This is so correct - there is a place for 'appropriate' anger, the cool type which acknowledges the need for boundaries, and such. However, so many people now are just 'angry' as a habit. It has crept up on them and become settled into their being. (As an aside, I do think the plethora of 'noir' shows on our screens these days has enhanced the drop in behavioural modification - and then there is the "anonymity" of social media...) Yxx

      Delete
  4. I am so sore from outdoor chores that I will certainly have to come back to this! Even stairs are tough. But I got most of my chores done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not tring to sound snobby. But I believe I am a good person.
    Plus we all have our burdens. I usual use the cross we bare personal, the baggage we have, and what is attach to us.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Near the start of my dad’s illness and decline, I was afflicted with huge outbursts of anger although I seemed okay in every other way. You are right that we have the capability to stop being angry. It’s usually not helpful - certainly not for me. Now, when I feel ready to lose my temper, I stop to think about why... and it helps me immensely. Things are still very very hard but at least my temper isn’t exploding these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of my clients respond too extremely to things that make them angry (I.e. hurt us). I spend a lot of time teaching them they can feel what they feel, but need to learn to react more appropriately. It is a lesson I work on for myself. It can be ok to be a little angry, one just most stop one's head from blowing off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drama was part of my upbringing as I have previously shared. To rid myself of the drama which could include fits of anger has been the most freeing change in my life. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏