WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoodling; Faffing With Food

I have always loved to cook. Point me in the direction of anything savoury and I'm yer gal. Can even run out a pudding or more. Baking, though... no. Baking was never my forte. A decent shortcrust pastry every so often, but scones? Cakes? Bread? Somehow they were never quite right. Often binnable. 

Then I happened upon the never-fail yoghurt cake/muffins recipe. Every cake I have made in the past forty years has been that, or variations upon it. They haven't all been good, but they have all been edible. I have provided this before, but it bears repeating!

YAM'S YOGHURT CAKE/MUFFIN MIX
1 measure of plain yoghurt (be that the 150/200gm carton, or a cup...)
1 measure of sunflower oil
1 measure of raw (cane) sugar (or white if you must)
3 measures of Self Raising flour (I use half/half white and wholemeal)
2 eggs lightly beaten

Place all together in a bowl and mix until all ingredients combined but do not beat. If you wish you can now add some dried fruit, a banana, or some berries... experiment!

Depending on your measure, the flour, the eggs' weight, the batter may be wetter or drier; ideally, it will be only just a dropping consistency. Too wet or too dry can give poor results. Either use a loaf tin or make muffins with it. 
Bake in an oven set at 180'C (160 if fan-forced) for about 40 minutes for muffins and a bit longer for a loaf. A knife inserted should come out clean, and there should be a slight spring-back when pressed. These buns often bear a day in a tin before eating - somehow they improve with age!


During my time in Edinburgh, I practised a bit more on the baking, though, for father did love his cakes and bakes. Cherry cake, anything with chocolate. The stollen buns of Christmas 2019 were so much of a hit, I didn't get time to photograph them! Something I learned was that baking takes practice, and improvements do occur.

Now back in my own wee Hutch, having become used to having something baked always on hand, my own sweet tooth has been sharpened. I may get around to baking some goodies for myself but am also in no hurry to do it - as there is just me to eat it and I already fight the Battle of The Bulge. I do not, however, like to be without bread. I can go for a week or even two without bread but then am overcome with a hankering, a lust, a craving for it. Now, of course, one can order from the grocery. Though, you may recall that I was given a bread oven three years back—time to get it back into use. The first loaf produced since being back home got made a few days ago. I experimented. Instead of my basic water, flour, yeast, sugar, salt, I put milk, an egg and some olives. Golly, it's good...















I have happened across a tubular channel with bread and pastries as the focus. They look to be fairly fail-safe... or should that be YAM-proof? Expect more experiments!!!

18 comments:

  1. The muffins and bread all look so yummy. Our mom bakes but not yeast breads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree, everything looks delicious. It is always nice to have a muffin around to add to a cup of hot tea. Really need to get a breadmaker - that break looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now I am craving sweets. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three cheers for the bread machine. You have mastered yours, I see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love our bread machine, and I'm glad that you love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the saying: It's foolproof. I'm the fool that proved it. Congratulations on taming the baking monster, i suspect you have found it was loud but toothless and lame. xxx F

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is super tasty!!!! we will try da muffins, bet da yogurt gives it da special something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The muffins look good. Baking was the first cooking skill I mastered - age seven, I could turn out a perfect fluffy Victoria sponge. Don't tell Bertie, but I have baked something very special for him (and me) to enjoy later today!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your muffins look so yummy and so does your loaf of bread. I'm with you - I prefer bread to sweeter desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Yam - I'm craving something sweet too ... time for tea? It'll be fun - and it's always diverting mixing and baking - tasty too ... enjoy ... stay safe - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY WORD YAM I'm licking and smacking my lips at the very same time.
    Thank you for the recipe too
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Cup is the standard measure, but you can scale the batter by using different things; if you wanted a large batch so as to have some to freeze (which they do very well!), then you could use two cups of yogurt; that is then the base measure for everything else, d'ya see? Obviously if you double up the oil and dry goods, then you need to double the eggs... This really is a recipe you can play around with (to a certain degree) and always get edible results. The flour used can vary, for example, and it may be you find that it takes a little more moisture - or less. The size of the eggs will vary... but there is enough 'slack' in the recipe for practice to make perfect and still enjoy whatever results. Yxx

      Delete
  13. either one or both is on my list of cravings. they both look yummy and sound easy to bake. using yougurt instead of milk, i might have to try that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes - and it will be interesting if you do, to see how they turn out using Splenda (or whatever your non-sugar thing is) instead. Remember that the sugar is part of the bulk (the original recipe used two measures of sugar - I took that down to one and have never regretted it!) Maybe hold back the oil a bit and only add the full measure if you think the mix too dry. I emphasize again that this is a batter cake, so there should be a dropping consistency to it - but not pouring! Yxx

      Delete
  14. These sound totally yummy! I'm going try it this weekend. I don't have any of the items on the list...except the eggs and flour (ground at a local mill, I'll have to add baking powder to make it self rising). I shall have to adapt and wait until I can get to the next town for some decent yogourt. As for bread, living in a small village, the local grocery store bakes the most wonderful bread, their Russian Black and their Cheese Bread are to die for.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏