WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoculayshunal; Speaking In Tongues

Breakfast generally would take about half an hour, but quite often there would be lingering in the courtyard between Annakshetra (food hall) and Saraswati Nilaya as little points of interest from the morning lesson might get discussed - or plans for meeting up for study and Sanskrit practice, depending what had to be prepared for that morning's language class, which would begin at 10:30 (most days).

Generally, by 09:00, we were all on to our various morning tasks or gathered in groups - either self-assigned or designated - for study and discussion. Where possible, time was taken to be outside our bhavans (residences). Most of the year, the air was fresh and cool out under the many trees on the compound. To take a couple of turns around the entire place could take up half an hour very easily and as much as an hour if each turn and twist was taken. Not in a hurry, of course. Where possible, it would be in mauna (silence) and attention paid to everything seen. Attempting to be as present as possible in each moment and 'feeling' the nature around one. [...This technique has been taken to the ultimate degree by the Buddhists and is now known worldwide as 'mindfulness'... but it arose from this simple daily saadhana within Sanatana Dharma.]

Freshly Unfurled Peepal Leaf
I had mentioned during the discussion on food that there were many mango trees on the ashram grounds—several different varieties (including the prized Alphonso).

Other trees included eucalypts and a jacaranda, gifted from Australia, as well as some of the commonly planted trees of India:

  • Ashoka Tree (Saraca Asoca)
  • Gulmohar Tree (Delonix Regia)
  • Peepal Tree (Ficus Religiosa)
  • Sal Tree (Shorea Robusta)
  • Arjuna Tree (Terminalia Arjuna)

Alongside these, the grounds were kept lush with various shrubs and foliage perennials, plus varieties of aloe, ginger, banana and coconut for kitchen use.




















All of which helped to create an atmosphere of repose and quiet industriousness. Along would come the hour for Sanskrit class, and - for some of us - this came with a bit of trepidation.

Throughout my life, I have learned, used and subsequently let drop away French, German,  Russian (all to intermediate level), Greek (tourist level), Beni-Pidgeon (Nigeria - conversational), Afrikaans (tourist level), and latterly, Hindi (conversational...just about). It is simply a case of 'use it or lose it'. Hindi I manage to keep going a wee bit by watching Bollywood films and reading where I can.

Sanskrit... 

Well, I am adept at the Devanagari script and I can read pretty fluently. I can pronounce and chant. Do not ask me to converse, however. I was learning this language during the very peak of the 'menopolyxinaemic' storm ** and there was a black hole where my memory was supposed to be. Sanskrit, more than any other language I have learned, depends upon rote learning of the majority of words. Straight-out memorisation. 

The vyakarana (grammar) is fun. Verbal declension involves three numbers and eight cases (meaning 24 possible word formations for each). One also has to learn anvaya (rephrasing) of shlokas, for like most poetry, the words are not necessarily in standard order (it also involves breaking open compound words to ascertain various meanings). 

I love Sanskrit. I could not, however, keep up with the pace and demand for class that most of the other batchmates managed. Samvidji very kindly permitted me to take extra time over paper tests and was very tolerant of my conversational lack. My chanting was what was important and that definitely met standard and I demonstrated that I knew enough to build on the existing translations. Over the course I did get more confidant - but I would never claim to be a scholar of Sanskrit by any stretch of imagination!


** for newcomers and as a reminder to long-term readers, the basis of this blog is the effects of menopause and running life around it. I chose not to use that word and thus, menopolyxinaemia, and a whole 'menoctionary' of language, developed to describe some of the craziness!

9 comments:

  1. wow that sounds interesting... I still fight with french... after 4 years of learning I'm still ... well... not soooo good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always impressed by people like my Swiss godmother and her sister, who could, right up to the end of their long lives, hold their own in several languages, even ones they apparently did not practice regularly. I always have the feeling that with me it's a 'one in, one out' effect when learning new vocabulary...
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful red leaf. I purrsonally know I could never have accomplished the things you were able to do in spite of the language barrier. I speak Southernese with ease and English with guarded ease. LOL Many times professors would tell their new students to have many conversations with me to learn English. I often advised them their best bet was to watch local TV news. LOL
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, all those languages. You are so traveled, it would help. Poor JB did French Language classes, and with his hearing impairment shouldn't have graduated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your meno words, and most of them make perfect sense to me, since i have been there done that meno thing not once but twice. I like the mindful silence and at TOPS we use mindful eating, paying attention to what and how much and when and how we eat it. paying attention. i like the word mauna and that is what I seek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Languages are strange things. I always got complimented on my grasp of Norwegian, but for me it was an easy language to learn: similar grammar, similar words. Get me to learn Polish or Russian and I would be completely out of my depth. I would probably get it done eventually, but it would take me a lot longer. One thing I did find however, that once I was speaking Norwegian on a daily basis, I could not string two German words together anymore. A language in which I am pretty fluent and always have been. Fortunately it has come back again, but it was very strange and annoying.

    I still speak French, but it is sinking further and further away now, as I have had no need to use it for years. Afrikaans would be okay for me to learn though. In fact, Afrikaans, Flemish and Dutch are in the same language group with the main common ground being they are all derivatives from older Dutch.

    Have a nice day,
    Klem

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not everyone can take to new languages with ease. You seem to be one who can. Very nice.
    Languages broaden one's horizons.
    Sanskrit is a lovely language. It's taught in schools and colleges and some states have a university dedicated to it.
    Glad you are keeping alive your knowledge of Hindi. Now it's rather not difficult with internet and OTT platforms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ability to read and understand another language of such different structure is admirable. Just butchered English is my only language. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏