WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoculayshunal; Interlocution

One of the joys of blogging, for me at least, is the potential for meaningful exchange. Mostly it is one-sided, insofar as one will read lots of interesting and new things elsewhere, and visitors to one's own destinations might also feel they leave with some new nugget of understanding. Where there is an actual exchange, though, an acute observation or a question asked, there is (I admit it!) a frisson within me. Despite some early challenges from certain teachers**, I am an intellectual buddy and enjoy debate and discussion. Or just the plain fact that someone was interested and invested enough in what they read to make an effort! I enjoy leaving meaningful comments elsewhere and love when others are engaged here.

So, before proceeding further directly with the memoir of Sandeepany, I would like to take up a point arising from the following question (and brief answer provided) to last week's post, viz:












Having been given my 'starting point,' I would like to expand a little.

You see, it is not uncommon for folk to wonder about the benefit of philosophy of any kind. What purpose does it serve? Why is there such a subject in the pantheon of learning, and do we even need it? Indeed, elsewhere just recently, I have been 'in debate' with a blogger who has rather a bleak view of philosophy. Then there's the fact that philosophy as a subject, no matter how removed, harks back to the matter of humans as spiritual beings - which for some is a disturbing thing. Particularly if they conflate being spiritual with being religious and have negative associations with the latter. Let us be clear - some attend sacred buildings of all kinds with fervour, but for all their attendance, display no signs of having learned or transformed themselves into better human beings for it. Equally, many never enter any sacred place but have sacredness in their being for the high values they display. One can be religious about all sorts of things - because the word itself (as highlighted in my post link just given) simply means to do something again and again. 

Practice makes perfect.

The term 'religion' is bandied about now unthinkingly and is considered only in terms of those who attend a church, mosque, or temple of any kind. One word to mean something very complex. What is really meant is a system of faith organised in a specific way by which devotees can structure their lives. It's just easier to say, "oh So'n'So is very religious," and, unless we put a modifier (such as "about hygiene"), we automatically understand this to be a reference to matters of faith. However, many - even the majority - do not actually study their faith system with any degree of earnestness. They are not willing (or able) to adapt themselves and take on the changes encouraged in that philosophy to make lives better for themselves and those around them. They do not have to be scholars, per se, but the only way to gain any benefit from anything at all is to apply one's knowledge, no matter how small.

Anyone in the elite of their field has to have been religious in their attention to learning and then applying that knowledge to their particular area. That is the crux of Gail's question - an important one. We can study and study and study all we like, but it will make not a jot of difference to our lives if we do not show that we can digest, then offer out in our turn, something of that knowledge. For sportspeople, that is to win medals and trophies. For business people, that is to win contracts. For physicists and other material scientists, it is to investigate, research, and make new theories then set about proving them. For philosophers, that is to question the nature of who we are, what we do and the why of it all. 

Philosophy happens, whether we study it formally or not. In our own small way, all of us have a philosophy of life and seek to live it out. Even if it is as small as 'this is how my parents lived and it is how I too shall live.' When any such anchor is lacking, that is where we find people adrift and prone to greater vicissitudes. We all know someone, do we not, who seems adrift in life, not grounded or connected in any meaningful way. Quite often (though not always), they are people of strong mind who simply want to reject any suggestion of conformity. The idea of following any lead is anathema. 

Can you count on the fingers of your left hand the number of solo sailors in the world who truly never needed any help or guidance from anyone else, ever? It's not just the being on the sea, remember... as this article brings out, those sailors cannot even attempt a trip without the aid of others in the form of technology and rigging preparation and so forth! There also has to be a certain turn of mind...

Which brings me around to Advaita Vedanta, the philosophical doctrine to which I have dedicated my life since being introduced to it a dozen years back. All systems of faith have a background philosophy. I had studied philosophers of all stripes throughout my life, purely from interest and personal growth. Only now did I wish to formalise my philosophical leanings. Intellectually, I was like a wee lass in a sweetie shop, seeing lots of things that looked familiar but then realising that anything I had learned before was only something of an imitation of the original. It is not that all those deep thinkers (mainly western, I only latterly came to Lao Tzu and Rumi) lacked any kind of merit, far from it. However, there was almost nothing that they had that added to this pre-existing system of logic, psychology, cosmology and more that was Advaita. Put very simply (and for purposes of bringing this dissertation of a post to a close!), the premise is that all life can be perceived as samsaara (an ocean) upon which each individual must learn to sail. This can only be done if we understand ourselves, the nature of samsaara, and the nature of our interaction. Building our understanding of these three elements is 'building our boat.' The tools are logic, scientific understanding and meditation.

The direct answer to the prompting question, then, is that all this studying expands the thinking processes to the point where they can generate a synthesis of all thought and bring out useful wisdom - that is to say, application in the form of improved values, appreciation of life, helpfulness, Loving Kindness, peaceful resolution... oh I can hear a cry from somewhere... "That is only Humanism!!!" 

Well, my dears, you've heard before, I am sure, that there is no such thing as an original idea. Whatever thought you have, it will have been thought before elsewhere, else-time. Advaita, at 6000+ years antiquity, holds all the Humanism one could require.

The key difference is that Advaita permits one to have a performative faith (bhakti - to say prayers, carry out sacred acts and so forth) without loss of benefit in knowledge (jnaana). There is no condescension or condemnation of those who chose to exhibit bhakti even as they pursue jnaana. Bhakti permits an artistic expression and outlet for devotion. That additional aspect of acceptance of a realm of being beyond the physical world is what brings smiles to the faces of those who dip deeply into the philosophy and cause others to ask, 'can I have a little of what you are having?'



**My mother never forgave the pronouncement that I was a dunce - yep, the actual word used. It was at primary school, and it was thought that I was absorbing nothing. The fact that I was already reading two years ahead of my peer group and not bad at 'aw-richt-ma-tick' escaped their notice - mainly because they were looking only for certain markers so they could cross off boxes. If they weren't pronouncing me dunce, I guess it might have been 'precocious' and equally as damning to a seven-year-old! (The concept of attention deficit due to boredom hadn't hit in during the early 1960s.)

11 comments:

  1. I LOVED reading your post this evening. It mad me think about things that roll around in my head, but are not often things I get to discuss. When going to University to get a degree after art school, I got quite involved in religious studies and philosophy and loved the discourse in the classrooms. Alas, once out in the world of work, there is not much discussion about either of these topics and when brought up, they are usually accompanied by much rolling of eyes and changing of topics.
    While at art school I began a practice of meditation (starting with Transcendental Meditation) which dovetailed with the spiritual practices my parents followed while I was growing up. For me spirituality, philosophy and creativity are all sides of the same crystal. My daily practices includes journalling (daily pages) which I started when I read The Artist's Way (Julia Cameron) in 1992.
    Anyway, I have blathered enough, now I must think of jokes for Marv's Awww-some post tomorrow. Have a marvellously happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      What a wonderful comment to receive! Golly, were we neighbours we'd have fabulous chats over chai and samosa! You reminded me of The Artist's Way, which I devoured when it came out - I loaned the book in excitement about it... and it never returned. That's okay, the journalling was the big thing that came out of it for me too, although I had always kept a 'diary', it now became something just a little more.

      Blogging now takes its place of course - with the advantage of making friends in the process!!! Yxx

      Delete
  2. Blogging is amazing
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is a super statement... I wish I could explain some things like you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with the comment above - a particularly fine explanation tbis morning.
    One minor point. Language, words and their meanings evolve over time, and I don't think it's right to insist that in 21st century English, the word religion simply means doing things over and over again. That said, what it does mean, as this post makes clear, is open to interpretation.
    Cheers! Gail ( who has finally finished the bulk of the cleaning and has at least enjoyed two refreshing swims in Loch Torridon this weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Ah, now we have semantics! &*> If you clicked through to the post I linked you would see a detailed etymology and exploration of 'religion' but in short usage here;
      a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
      a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.
      "consumerism is the new religion"

      What I perhaps didn't quite manage to convey in the post is that it is the repeated attention one pays to a thing that makes of it a religious activity - and it does not necessarily require faith in anything other than a material subject. So yes, it does still mean doing something over and over again, it is just that we no longer think of it clearly that way. This is a case of 'living in the word and not its meaning' - which lets down so much of faith structures because living the word results in dogma... and there we enter much wider territory than can be explored here!!!

      On a more worldly note - well done on the cleaning, I take it that means the building is complete! Are you getting this hosepipe rain we've had the past two days? It's like a monsoon!!! Love to you and Bertie. YAM xx

      Delete
  5. I find this intriguing. There is so much to read and learn! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. i read your post and 3 of the comments which is unusual for me, you already know that. much here to think about and for once i understood 95% of all of it. i do get the thing about religious because I do my exercises religiously every day. over and over. religion also means churches, mosque and temples all have a different set religion, which means set things they do over and over. I used to drive my baptist minister dad crazy saying things like if Madeline, my best friend who was Catholic, had been born to you and mother, she would be baptist and if would be Catholic

    ReplyDelete
  7. A dunce!!! Shame on that teacher he/she was in the wrong profession!! I am so sorry. Oh if they teacher could have only seen the excellence you achieved!!
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good explanation of take on life study. As for the dunce statement that is not a great approach for teachers. It can still exist in some circles. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏