WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menofeastikkul

Back at the end of November, Mac1 came to stay for a few nights. Mainly it was to spend the 30th with me as we remembered and processed stuff about our late father. It generated a few laughs between some tears as we recalled how cuss-ed he could be about telling doctors his truth and how much it transpired he had really needed that help but failed to get it. How we would feel like we were up against a brick wall, but we did what we could to shore it up and keep the plaster intact! A real mischief-maker all his life, we'd catch him watching us debate what to do for him and realise he had set us going just for a stir. Never a great conversationist himself  (unless there were a few drams inside), he did love to get folk going and listen in to all the arguments. 


Mostly, we shared a lovely sisterly downtime. The 29th was, of course, the first Advent Sunday and that is when I put out the tree and decs. I wanted to drape a simple string of silver beads on the windows - but first, they had to be cleaned. I hadn't done them since getting back last December. The outside sort of takes care of itself, due to excess rain. The inside is another story. You know that stuff, that film which forms from all the breathing that gets done. 

Mac1 got up the ladder and did the top panes while I worked on the lower. It's a massive bay window. I didn't want to use water or any sprays, so we used that wonderful invention, the microfiber cloth! That and, believe it or not, not breath. There were just a couple of spots that required a little water and extra elbow effort, but those panes were sparkling by the end of half an hour. What a difference. Well overdue, that task. After draping a few loops of the silver pearls, it was the layout of the Advent candle tray and a token bit of sparkle. Then the tree. I bought that for my first winter in Hutch, 2014. It came with red berries and cones already attached, so each year all I need to add is some sparkly stuff. This year, less sparkle and all the ornaments I crocheted last year. Plus the knitted nativity set I bought from Mara.


























We spent the day feasting, too. A full brunch of crumpets, fried "vacon", eggs, tomatoes and YAM's "snagananas" which are under-ripe bananas, battered. The alternative full Scottish brekky! Later in the day, there were cheesy rolls filled with salad. Then came the main event of a vegetarian festive feast. (Forgive photo quality - I fear the Fudge is also on its last legs along with Voovoo and YAMroid. The trouble with tech all of a similar age is...)


On those plates were; roasted pumpkin, potatoes, carrot, parsnip**, meatless sausage, my homemade meatless balls, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, gravy and cranberry sauce.  (**the parsnips were a bad batch - despite preparing them in the microwave, they just didn't cook and also tasted wrong, so sadly they had to be trashed... but the rest was winner-winner Christmas dinner!!!)

Mac1 had brought along some Polish beer. I only had that half glass and had a headache. I am not at all a drinker, really. Just occasions like this. The rest of the bottle got shared between us watered down with lemonade (😝 yeesh very sweet, but it got rid of it!). More successful was a mulled drink concoction from the COOP supermarket own brand. Despite saying it was 8%, I did not get negative reactions to it and I have to say, as one who so rarely imbibes, it was mighty delicious. By the time Mac1 was off and away on Wednesday, we had polished off the bottle between us - and that was by watering it down adding hot water instead of heating just the drink itself. I am contemplating purchasing a bottle just for me with next week's milk and bread order in time for the big day...

As ever, I shall be having the time to myself, which I don't at all mind. However, many folks have been anticipating a proper gathering again this year... but already, here in Scotland at least, the government is putting out warnings and suggesting everyone just "caw-canny" as Omicron makes itself at home among us. It's almost impossible to remember what life was like two years back...




15 comments:

  1. Good to see Christmas cheer set in despite Omicron threats! You sure laid out a super Veggie treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Processing is so important, and there's no one better to that with than your sister. I am in the same situation this year - and I can feel the tendency to avoid thinking too much because it hurts. I am glad to see you and your sister sharing a feast and smiles. Many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we agree... it sounds so weird to remember "a life before covid" just as a memory... but we love your tree a lot... it is also a sweet memory about a time before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with KB, the processing and the debriefing is excellent. Wonderful to see you two together. Well, to read of you together!
    I am worried about Omicron here. They've sent kids home with 5 COVID tests apiece. We haven't seen the kids since Thanksgiving. I turn 65 Dec. 26th, and I don't really want them here. Jos had a birthday party with 7 friends, mostly masked. They are in a cohort at school. I am just afeared.
    Hugs from across the pond. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your memories of your dad's last Christmas and i could see the two of you cleaning the glass, i use micorfiber also, it cleans with nothing of if needed a tad of water. I have problems even processing that it has been 2 years since this scourge spread around our planet and that it still spreads. glad you shared your sweet memories with us today

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAM I know exactly what you mean about Dad's 'truth'. It must be an age thing as my Daddy had his own 'truths' too.
    He was often his own worst enemy.

    I thoroughly enjoyed your post and OMDs that meal looks lovely
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I totally forgot to tell you how very much I love your decorations and your tree
      Hugs Cecilia

      Delete
  7. Hi Yam - the tree is delightful ... as too the remembrances - and thanks re the window cleaning tips! Gosh I am an anti-microwaver! Hate the things ... but I know they're beloved by many. Your meatless sausages and 'balls' sound delicious to me ...it's only tea-time, but I'm a-hungry ... then breakfast = yummy. Have and enjoy lots of reading time - take care and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad that you and Anne were able to get together and share memories of your father.
    Your tree looks fab!
    Beer with lemonade is surely shandy or, better in German, 'ein Radlerbier' (i.e. 'cyclists' beer') - and a very good option it is when on a bike ride on a hot day!)
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are so happy that you and your sister shared wonderful memories, a beautiful Christmas tree and a very delicious looking meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute tree. We love all the hand made ornaments and the nativity. It sounds like you had a great time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh1 Yum! It sounds like a fun filled and food filled weekend! |Thanks for sharing it with us! We hope you have a marvellously Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tree and am picturing the light from those great windows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woody parsnips? What F wouldn't give for a decent parsnip. Parsnips haven't been available to us for three winters now. We used to grow them.... dig them freeze them, roast, boil, mash, fry, puree, soup, patties, with curry, with ginger, mashed with carrots. Parsnip and ginger cake is a favorite with my humans. Fz & Pz Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gathering and remembering was on the schedule for my sisters and I this past weekend. Your decorations are lovely. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏