WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Men-onward-uptus; Familiarising...

Getting to know you, getting to know all about you... One of my favourite songs from the King and I. A few of you got excited seeing posts appear last week after the intermuttsus; however, as I'd mentioned in the Monday post, those had already been scheduled. Today, let me introduce you - or show that to which I was introduced... mind you, it took a while to get to the point where introductions could be made:


...sigh... really? Still, Mac1 loves all that brown paper filler...






As Voovoo the Vaio begged for retirement from ether works, you will recall, I was left in a slight bind last week regarding posting here - and having to minimise interactions on all your blogs. Mac1 was to be bringing over a machine that had belonged to the Maestro. That proved to be past its use-by date, too, though, so no go on that one. (My dear sis did come over to stay just the same, but more of that on another post.)

I was forced into a new purchase (thanks, dear sis, for helping me out there too...) I didn't want to go full tilt on a replacement for Voovoo. She is still viable as an offline machine, but I desperately need something sturdy to keep me going for the next couple of years until I can make that final shift in a complete tech update. Preferably with minimal setup required. Enter the Asus Chromebook 11.6" Flip! The setup was whizz-bang, it synched all my existing tabs and apps to become a mini-me of Voovoo... and I do love it and will keep it, and it shall henceforth be named OctoKan. 😍

Apart from spending quality hours with Mac1, I have been taking time to acquaint myself with the differences in using a dedicated Chrome facility instead of favouring it in the broader field offered on Voo. In one or two things, it mirrors Android (hardly surprising). Still, it is pretty much as I would hope given my already extensive experience in Chrome and Google-lands, but with a couple of advantages that I find rather nifty. The screenshots of the two images above, for example. On Voo, it would have been a simple press of the 'PRTSCR' button, then save to the folder of choice and play around with the image as I wished for cropping and so forth. On OctoKan, it was a three-key select, but then drag and crop directly before the shot and then it saves directly to the clipboard for ease of pasting into the post. Fab! There are lots of wee tweaks like that... on the not so great side, there is only one standard USB port as opposed to Voo's four. Neither does it have an SD slot. I will need to break out the old Inateck hub I used in OZ three years back. It has three USBs and one SD port. But for that, I will need to get an adapter from mini-to-standard... sigh... minor issues.

I like that I can place actual emoticons directly from this post page... though I wonder if it will show up like that if you don't use Android or Chromebooks yourselves? Let me know! 👍

Anyway, that's all I wish to report today. All being well, Menoculayshunal posts will resume next Monday. This week, you need to hear about my visitors... roll on Thursday and Friday! Hopefully, tomorrow, Me-Now-Views will return..


15 comments:

  1. Well done! All looks good and fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that a big bright light.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. The emoticons are working for me and we use a MacBook Air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. F went and hid under a cushion just from the stress of reading about setting up new tech. She really is hopeless. Enjoy your new animal. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to read that the new equipment is up and running without too much grief. You'll be pleased to know that the emoticons are visible both on my phone (Android) and my MacBook.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you got your little Asus, and mine came in the same size boxes, tiny and large, but mine had plastic puffy things not paper. I told you mine was Asus flip but am looking at it and it is Acer. my desktop is Asus and my big laptop that died was Asus.. email me how to put the emoticons in, mine says I have to use the on screen keyboard. to much bother to do that. i did see the thumbs up. so yes it works. your learning yours has inspired me to learn more about mine. since I do most stuff on the desk top and read on this one, I slacked off on what it can do... keep the stories coming, they help me with mine. I have not named my devices but did name a few plants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Emoticons have always been available on Blogger post toolbar - but on the PC they were only ever black outline... these full-colour ones are now appearing as a result, I suppose, of the dedicated Google machine. You find them in the post editor toolbar under 'special characters' (or it may be 'symbols' on some versions). They remain a small size, though. To get the kind that I used for the post yesterday, you can simply search... or bookmark this page. For the type that can be used in comments, this page can also be helpful. (◕‿◕) I will be doing a fuller review of this experience before month's end - and there are a couple more posts coming up with further 'intro'... Yxx

      Delete
  7. OctoKan standing ovation and happy smiles..Welcome to your new home with YAM she will make lots of other folks happy when she uses you and you have a very good home filled with TLC.
    Please thank Mac1 from all of your followers too. Looking forward to visitor reports and photos.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful new computer! We are so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're glad to hear you got a new computer so you can stay online with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That reminds me that my HP lap has become old enough to retire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great news, now enjoy. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏