WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

MenoAZering; D = Daisy


For April, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z, and you will find original images created by me and some ramblings to go with them. I will capitalise words that begin with the featured letter (on first use only). Let me know what you think of the pics, words, or both in the comments! For more of this madness, you can visit Blogchatter.


There is something DITSY about DAISIES. I love them. My mother loved them and her mother before her. Their gardens were never without some variety of daisy - or several. I, though, am very fond of the common wild daisy. The ones which so many people DESIGNATE as weeds. 

I have many fond memories from earlier in life of summer DAYS spent on grass littered with daisies... and DANDELIONS, another personal fave. I love these wildflowers because of their usefulness. What?! Yes, every part of a dandelion is edible, from the roots to the leaves and flowers, even the unopened flower buds and flower stalks. There are hundreds of dandelion recipes offering creative ideas for using every part of the plant, both for food and medicine. (DO check out this article on recipes.) Daisies, too, can be utilised in both food and medicine. (Check this one out!)

Wildflowers, note. Not weeds. They are only called that because of DISCRIMINATION. The gardener DOESN'T want 'those incomers/invaders/immigrants' in their backyard... Weed is a DEROGATORY term. Daisies and dandelions laid claim to that ground long before that gardener settled it, put up borders and DECLARED, 'this is mine!' 

Daises (and dandelions) are DOUGHTY. Their resilience is profound. The sunflower is an overgrown daisy. That it is a symbol for Ukraine is not to be overlooked. 


23 comments:

  1. We have a number of daisies in our yard, wild. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so many weeds... oops, wildflowers in my garden. I really like your daisies. Just lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely daisies can give you an uplifting mood any time of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisies are dainty. I love them too. All fragile things touch the softest corners of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Greek: margaritas (i believe that's a cocktail somewhere else in the world). Dandelions are excellent in risotto (according to F - i would only touch dandelions to roll on them). Fz and Pz Mr T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Golfer is not a fan of dandelions- they get dead headed quick smart with the mower. Me, I remember telling the time - blowing the seed heads - and know some of our native birds enjoy the seeds so get a bit put out if I’m home when he makes his move.

    Your daisy panel would look good on a doona or worked into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we love daisies too... and there is always this memory about the little girls who made daisy crowns and thought they were princesses ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yam what a fun series you very clever mind has for the A-Z challenge.
    I love daisies just like Da Weimies said daisy crowns and making wishes before blowing out the fuzzies
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instead of daisy crowns, my sister and I used to pull off all but one of the petals and use them as girls with a pony tail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daisy both name and flower are enticing to me. They make a place calm and happy. Agree with u on all points. Goodluck

    Dropping by from A to Z http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love daisies as well. In floriography they represent innocence, gentleness and loyal love. I think that covers it perfectly. Great art, and it made smile that you used "doughty" in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Daisies are so pretty - and so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both of these flowers and agree the ARE flowers. we have wild growing flower right now, in all the lawns where people hate them. they are small daisy looking flowers, the flower is 1 inch and under..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so pretty. Is it digital art or acrylic? It is exquisitely beautiful. I did Daffodil today. www.balconysunrise.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful painting of the daisies. I didn't know that all parts of the dandelion are edible. Thanks for sharing this Yamini :)
    https://radhikasreflection.wordpress.com/2022/04/06/e-endangering-nature/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Didn't know sunflowers are overgrown daisies. My grandfather loved sunflowers for their no-nonsense hardiness and usefulness. I love daisies...the wild ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We get some daisies in our yard too. They are so bright and beautiful and the bees and butterflies just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree, weed is definitely a derogatory word!! Beautiful daisy edit!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful daisies!! Happy AtoZ!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daisies were prolific wildflowers in the part of Missouri where we lived. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏