WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoizikul; Midweek Musicalisms

In like a lion? We've hit March already. To end February, I gave you a wonderfully meditative item from Apocalyptica. Let's begin this month with a much more truly metal offering. A cover of the Metallica instrumental, Orion. For this, the group is joined by a fourth cello. 

This piece has three distinct movements, the centre section being quite divine. So yes, the lion is there at the beginning but settles down with the lamb... then roars to the end. It is a virtuosic item, very lyrical. I am sure the inventor of the cello had no idea how far it would be taken! Now, a challenge - if you think that your ear is becoming suitably educated to these strong and strident sounds, how about popping over and checking out the original from Metallica themselves? Watch as these musicians own the platform, strut their stuff and pluck the by-jingoes out of those strings!!! If you do, come back and tell me which of these versions you prefer. I'll be frank, I love them both; Metallica's because, well, it's theirs and they are totally in their comfort zone with it; Apocalyptica's because - well - cello fellows! 

12 comments:

  1. Fascinated by the cello playing. We know you don't have TV but can you get at the internet version of The Piano - a sort of tzlent search where they put a piano in a railway station and audition players for a spot in a concert at The Festival Hall. Not something we e pected to enjoy, but it has been great. Leeds turned up a real surprise - a blind child that cannot converse but expresses herself in music: absolutely moving. Xxx Mr T and F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I do have a telly - just never use it - except for sports! I have been watching The Piano with great interest; I had tears for the wee lass as much of what she has faced is what my late neice had to deal with... see the label for The Maestro to read about Amy and her amazing musicianship... Yxx

      Delete
    2. oooo - we read all your posts under that label - The Piano from Leeds would have been particularly poignant for you then. Your Maestro would have been a wonderful mentor for the lass in that TV programme.

      Delete
  2. Here in tranquil Torridon (I drove over yesterday) the Metallica version is definitely out of tune with the surroundings. Apocalyptica less so, but still not really my taste.
    Nobby has been creating quite enough noise in the cottage this morning - waking me up at about 5 am with an uncharacteristic bout of loud barking!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I will save the music for a little later in the day. February went by so fast, Spring will be here soon. YAY! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it through about halfway and then tap to the end to hear the cello this is just not for me it makes me feel like screaming

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMCs who would've thunk a cello would fit in a heavy metal group..BOL BOL at Gail's comment about Nobby creating enough noise in the cottage. Nobby might have a future as a vocalist for the band
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although not a heavy metal fan, I do enjoy the cello!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was interested in the cello playing. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏