WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menokreatikul; Diversions

Blame "Fear-buary" but I was definitely in a sort of avoidance estivation state, not wanting to do too much... then again, I had those workshops with Domestika to get stuck into. Two down and the third in progress, so I am enjoying them just fine. The short-story one was a little behind my standard, but I enjoyed the tutor and picked up some inspiration for finding prompts and how to 'span' them. 

Next off the waiting list was the Japanese-style crochet, used almost exclusively for soft toys and 3D ornamentations. Despite a lifetime in this craft, it is not a skill I had ever acquired, but often admired. The amigurumi critter was fabulous fun. This is much finer work than I am in the habit of taking up. Still, I was surprised at how quickly it all came together, and I have booked another workshop that hopefully will reveal more about forming patterns for oneself. Anyway, here is the end product, which I have named Ringo the Righteous Rhino:


There is quite a stash of this fine-gauge wool inherited from my late mother. Have been wondering what to do with it - now have some ideas!

Then I started one of the crochet garment workshops. Again, quite basic for a seasoned hookster like myself, but I have actually learned a stitch variation that I am loving; also, working the garment from side to side rather than top-bottom (or vicky verky). I am not following the pattern verbatim (the tutor encourages us to get adventurous if we are advanced in our skill), choosing to work the stitches slightly differently to produce a reversible item. As you see in these close-ups, there is a ribbed side and a smoother stockinette side... my hope is that when I get the thing put together, it can be worn either way.



With this stitch variation, the results are not too far from looking like the thing has been worked in the two-needle knitting method. The yarn is an Aran Tweed weight. You will, of course, see the finished article in due course!

To finish today, I would like to bring you a poem I only learned of when visiting the McLean museum earlier this month. It was printed on an entire wall and evoked the area so well that I had to look it up when I got home. Being unfamiliar with the poet, reading up on John Davidson surprised me that he appears to have been well-established, albeit with a thrawn character and, one might say, eccentric. Anyway, his take on Greenock and Clydeside holds true, even though today the sound of iron and industry is silenced.


I need
No world more spacious than the region here :
The foam-embroidered firth, a purple path
For argosies that still on pinions speed,
Or fiery-hearted cleave with iron limbs
And bows precipitous the pliant sea;
The sloping shores that fringe the velvet tides
With heavy bullion and with golden lace
Of restless pebble woven and fine spun sand;
The villages that sleep the winter through,
And, wakening with the spring, keep festival
All summer and all autumn: this grey town
That pipes the morning up before the lark
With shrieking steam, and from a hundred stalks
Lacquers the sooty sky; where hammers clang
On iron hulls, and cranes in harbours creak
Rattle and swing, whole cargoes on their necks;
Where men sweat gold that others hoard or spend,
And lurk like vermin in their narrow streets:
This old grey town, this firth, the further strand
Spangled with hamlets, and the wooded steeps,
Whose rocky tops behind each other press,
Fantastically carved like antique helms
High-hung in heaven’s cloudy armoury,
Is world enough for me. Here daily dawn
Burns through the smoky east; with fire-shod feet
The sun treads heaven, and steps from hill to hill
Downward before the night that still pursues
His crimson wake; here winter plies his craft,
Soldering the years with ice; here spring appears,
Caught in a leafless brake, her garland torn,
Breathless with wonder, and the tears half-dried
Upon her rosy cheek; here summer comes
And wastes his passion like a prodigal
Right royally; and here her golden gains
Free-handed as a harlot autumn spends;
And here are men to know, women to love.

🙏

16 comments:

  1. I love your amigurumi critter! Learning new stuff and creating new things is always so much fun (and it makes me want to do more). Keep rocking the fun! And the poem ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's super cute... and it has something... maybe it can be the wish-critter for our secret wishes ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ringo the Righteous Rhino is splendid (and splendidly named). But I was sure those last two garment workshop photos were knitting rather than crochet! Interesting.
    The poem is interesting too. I hadn't heard of John Davidson before. The 'spacious, foam embroidered firth' one still recognises, but much of the scene evoked by the poem is sadly now vanished.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Oh... but also, surely, the 'argosies' (merchant ships), the steep bows; the sloping shores... and the restless pebbles?
      All the wee toons along this rim which 'close for winter and awaken in spring'? Those hamlets, and the wooded steeps, w​hose rocky tops behind each other press​???​ 😀 Yxx

      Delete
  4. It's a stirring piece of verse, made special for you no doubt by having a familiarity with the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I love the cute Rhino and the poem! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on both the Rhino and the poem! In addition, Rhino's colours are the same of my favourite football team: Naples :-)
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The righteous rhino is just precious I just love his little feet and even his color is beautiful. I think you should make as many of these little animals as you can and find a charity or somewhere that you can donate them since you have all that yarn. Also using these workshops is brain exercise and memory exercise and a lot of fun. Our library sent an email saying they’re having a workshop on writing. And now right now I can’t remember it’s three different kinds of short fiction but I’m not I can’t remember the name and I thought about signing up for it but I am so insecure that when I get in a group of people I feel insecure

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAM I love you Rhino BRAVO little projects are challenging. thank you for sharing the poem too.
    I cannot knit..maybe if I took classes I could... but for now I'll be your cheerleader. I like the pattern and stictch
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Rhino, I'm not sure I could crochet with tight enough stitches to create amigurumi, you did an excellent job! I can't wait to see more(and the other finished project you are working on too)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rather like the rhino though he does appear to be wearing pants! Any form of knitting defeats me, so well done you! Interesting to centre align a poem - it's form embodies a certain flow / pulse as a result. M

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the rhino! I was watching an animal show and they had several rhinos. The male was huge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rhino turned out great and I can't wait to see the completed garment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yam - if I could handle wool or yarn I'd be ecstatic at your creations - very clever ... but even on a screen they make me cringe - such is life! But that poem is just brilliant - what great descriptions ... so pleased you posted for us. Thanks and have a lovely weekend cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. F loves that crochet stitch. She has a basket pattern from a Japanese source that uses something they call waistcoat stitch. Is that what you are using there? Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      No - this is working back-loop rows and then turning the fabric 45 degrees; waistcoat stitch is kept at orientation worked and the stitch is worked into the centre of each stitch below it... Yxx

      Delete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏