WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menoturals; Saturday Sounds Of Nature

Now to one of my absolute favourite birds - anywhere. The Currawong. Specifically, the Pied variety - there are also the Grey and the Black, but I rarely saw them. I adore them. The Maggies are cheeky and entertaining and definitely can get quite tame. Same with the Butcherbirds. There is something a bit extra special about the Currawongs, though. They take their time choosing who they will interact with. They will sit on the fence and observe, and only if they deign to consider you worthy will they set up a relationship. While I got to know several Magpies and a few Butchies - though Grey was the only long-termer - I only got chummy with one Currawong who, due to the particular call he would give when landing to visit, I called Cuckoo. Hey ho. There was nothing daft about Cuckoo, let me tell you. I learned how smart these birds are. Anyhoo, the greatest pleasure came from the varied calls that added to the "Caroling Caawrus"... (If you want to spend a little longer, up close and personal, then I recommend popping over to John Kha's excellent short film of a family in his backyard. Watch the nest go through all weather and get decorated with multiple metal coathangers! See the chicks through from hatch to fledge... it's a grand 17 minutes.) 

Here, though, is the soundscape for your morning meditation.

20 comments:

  1. Never heard of this bird.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully exotic! This made our cat Cricket sit up straight with wide awake eyes, wondering where the bird might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fabulous song. I could listen to that all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    What a cool song, love the sounds of this Pied Currawong. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yam - what a delightful morning greeting ... I'm enjoying these - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This morning's soundscape is just sublime. Thank you so much for introducing me to the Currawong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the chattiest birds! Love his song!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing song! Cheers XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a relaxing music! ... sounds of nature provide relief.
    Take care, Yam :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! And it sounds like they’re having a conversation like there’s many of them and they’re talking back-and-forth because each sound is a little bit different. I have never heard of them

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMCs it sounds like a meow at the beginning of each call.
    I have a white noise machine I use at night. I think I'd enjoy this call
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do have some amazing birds with unique calls. Love learning more about them too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a screen full of sound. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great song, lovely capture!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love bird sounds so much! Definitely something I did not appreciate enough in my youth. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those birds make such interesting calls. I watched a bit of that documentary and was wondering how and where those birds found all the coat hangers to add to their nest (also why the fascination with coat hangers).

    ReplyDelete
  17. F had 'pet' Aussie magpies as a kid. Generations of her family must have. Her grandad had stories about one that lived with his Grandma and had learned to call his name in exactly that 'you're in trouble now boy' tone of voice his grandma used. It also used the whistle up the dogs whenever is saw the cat trying to sneak up. They are great mimics. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have just returned from a glorious weekend in Algonquin Provincial Park, YAM, and this soundscape just prolongs a glorious spell of birding, where we encountered one of the truly difficult birds to see in this part of the world. You will be able to read all about it when I get around to blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved hearing the bird song, it is rather distinctive and lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏