WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menokreatikkul; Hook Crazy

I have been wondering a bit about myself... all this hooking caper. As I said, I've been at the crochet for many a long year. Yes, it has been a bit more consistent and constant in the past ten, with a decided boost during the main COVID era. The last four months, though, it has been a sustained effort. I am hooked. Totally submerged, hook, line, and sinker. So to speak.

For those who missed it, I mention it in my latest video. At least this activity is producing items that serve a purpose and will continue to do so. But what was really interesting was that, on Tuesday, this article appeared in my newspaper. The concept of "social prescribing" was in place in OZ even before I departed those shores in 2011, but it was good to read that yarn crafts are perceived as being of huge benefit to mental health and, by association, physical health. Yes, it could be said that by immersing myself in the crochet, I am avoiding procrastinating on other matters; but it is a form of meditation and has definitely provided a sense of achievement (purpose). By seeking to improve on my skills and develop creatively in the craft, it has also been educational. Thus, the little twinge of guilt that sits in a dark corner of my mind about The Grey, is somewhat allayed...

In that video (produced in artificial light even though it was the middle of the day because it has been really, really dark weather) I show off a WIP which, I am pleased to report, was completed in time for Hogmanay. There was even just enough (barely, but just) yarn left over to make a hat...























This was the Viking Braid shawl pattern that I had bought from Tinna Torvalder (the link for the pattern is in the video description - hers and mine). The yarn is Drops Air, which is mainly Alpaca, with a little bit of Merino and a soupcon of Polyamide. It is a 'blown' yarn, rather than spun and lives up to its name. It is like a cloud, so light and, well, airy!

A closer inspection by eager eyes might note that the hat is in a slightly different-looking stitch... it's done in the Tunisian style! You may recall I had discovered a long hooked needle and gone down the rabbit hole of finding out how to use it. I learned one stitch, and that was me, off and running. No pattern, but this is what appeared. (I have since looked up patterns, so expect more!) I worked the stitch to use up what was left of the sock skein...



















There was just enough there to make this neck gaiter/headband. As you see, it is a very different technique, running lots of stitches on and then off again.

I really took to this and found one teacher whose presentation style I really 'clicked' with. Toni at TL YarnCrafts has an excellent tubular channel, as well as a top-notch blog with lots of patterns (some of which are free!) 

The thing with Tunisian stitching is that one can work with a simple standard hook (non-ergonomic), which is all I had for the gaiter. It fits 25 stitches comfortably enough in this fingering yarn. One could make lots with just the standard equipment. However, there are dedicated hooks. The long needle type that got me looking into this... and the extended flexible type that resembles a circular needle in knitting, only one does not work in the round, but rather the forward and backward passes that create a row in Tunisian crochet. I jumped online and ordered a set. The variety of stitches which are possible remains to be explored, but I utilised a variation of the full stitch of the gaiter on the hat on one of the long hooks as I needed 68 stitches in the size 4 yarn. The variation was my own instinctual work - so it will be interesting to discover if I made a new one up or that it does actually exist, and my instincts are good! 

Anyway, am excited to be adding this different technique to my yarning yen!!! Keep watching this space. 


13 comments:

  1. It been years since I gotten my hands on any yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all you attribute to the craft. Have you ever fallen asleep and kept on working, only to have a new creation on inspection the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      ...not quite... though a few stitches have gone awry due to a micro snooze! Yxx

      Delete
  3. I have never had a yen to yarn, or to tell a yarn about my yen. ha ha, Kidding. you already know about my lack of yarn skills. I really like the one around your neck. since we are in our winter months here, I found that just covering the neck makes me warmer when walking Beau. I found a way to bunch up my orange hood on my sweat shirt, around my neck and tie it. suprised me completely that I instantly felt warmer, just bunching it up under my chin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Yes, neck, head, wrists - all these points benefit from a little extra layer! Yxx

      Delete
  4. You have obviously developed a passion for this and the results look great, YAM. I have to confess, however, that when you acquired The Grey I expected to enjoy a constant flow of travel journals and adventures. Maybe soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      A fair point, David - and truth be told, that had indeed been the intention. The days have simply gotten away from me... Yxx

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Yes, I read that learning any kind of hobby is good for the brain. You did really good with your crafts, the hat , shawl and neck band all look beautiful. Take care, have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WELL done YAM...wow. Such beautiful colors and stitches. The patterns accentuate the unique stitching
    Bryan said to tell you how much he laughed at Tico last night.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an amazing crocheter and I wish I had your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One day at a time as far as The Grey goes....in the meantime I am thoroughly enjoying the crochet projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sure are hooking up a storm and of course, I think that is just fine. It's a bit cold and dark to be working outside on the Grey so she can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so proud of you! It and you look wonderful! XXX

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏