WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Menostaldjika; Looking Back, Thinking Ahead

I was sitting here the day before today wondering what on earth I was going to ramble on about in this post. My good pal, Jenn of the Country Cottage Reflections, provided a prompt. She had been wondering about where bloggers go. 

I have seen this brought up over different years by different bloggers around the traps, and for those of us who are getting long in the tooth, it is a pertinent question. 

We are all familiar with how visitors to our blog come and go, much as folk do in 'life actual' and that not many can be around for the entire duration of time. The few with whom we build a relationship beyond just casual reading/commenting, though, do come to matter to us, and if they have been running blogs themselves, it can be sad when they cease writing, whatever their reason. We miss them. I know I do with several of our old 'Blogville' residents. Several have swapped almost entirely to Facebook if at all they remain online. A part of the netiverse that I have not and will not visit. One way or another, though, we spot them or hear of them via our network. (For example, those of you who know Princess Leah may like to know that she pops up occasionally on the instything, so I know she is doing well. I also share hearts with Linda, mama to Astro and the late Mitzie there.) So, we must accept that the rolling by of life sees folk enter our sphere and then leave it again, or our connections find the required balance. 

However, Jenn's point was very much about what happens to the online presence of those who can no longer maintain them? It may be that the folk themselves have simply lost interest and don't care about what is left on air. Health and death are the two main issues, though, for inactivity. Concerning that point, did you know that you can set up instructions to Google via their Inactivity Manager? I recently had the experience of the original Aatmaavrajanam blog having any editing operations blocked and all the comments removed from it - although not confirmed, I have to assume this was Google taking precaution due to there having been no action on that blog for well over twelve months. Although initially frustrated, I am actually quite glad of it.

There are arguments for leaving one's presence in the ether intact. Just think of all the history programs you have watched in recent times that have relied upon researchers delving into letters and essays and photographs of ordinary people. If at all there is an interest in history, it comes truly alive when we can relate to it. Not the great moments, the big battles, the pusillanimous politics, soldierly shenanigans or princely prancings. Yes, those play their part, but is it not that history truly serves its purpose when we can listen to the words of the tailor, fisherman or weaver-woman from a span of decades, or even centuries? When we visit historic sites, is it not that we want to see how the kitchen worked, the lavatories, the wardrobes? 

The best of history comes from the ordinary everyday. Understanding society by historians, archaeologists, anthropologists and sociologists comes from obtaining as wide a spectrum of information available from that society as they can. 

How many of you reading this now maintain blogs and other media for the simple reason of recording your life and the things that interest you for your own memory jogging and for your friends and family? Is it unreasonable to suggest that you are actually building into that ongoing archive of social history? Of course, it is your prerogative to say that you do not wish for that. Herein lies the crux of the matter. Have you thought ahead about whether or not you wish your digital presence to remain long after you do not?

Bear in mind (and I might ask forgiveness, but really, this has to be faced) that none of us knows when our end is due. Simple fact. There are blogs out there just hanging. The owners have passed away, and no one knew or was interested in tidying up their digital affairs. 

At the very least, consider sorting out the Google Inactivity alert. It would also be worth putting all your (non-financial) passwords and the items they access into a list, then nominate someone to attend your online matters in the event of your passing. To this end, allow me to direct you towards the Digital Legacy Association (there may be other such services, but this looks pretty comprehensive): here is what their founder has to say -


Do not think that because you are not actively caring for others, this doesn't help. The link provided over DLAs name above takes you to their page, providing useful insight and talking about digital wills. It might seem or feel a tad extreme as you read that, but we have such a wealth online - it ought to be treated as respectfully and carefully as any other of our 'estate.'  I have certainly been pondering this pretty much all this year. It can be easy, at low-mood times, to wonder why on earth one is bothering. Then the understanding of the wider social context hits in. Also, knowing the interest and joy I get from reading and viewing others' daily offerings, including their struggles and mayhem, and seeing some of the incredible responses given to some of my own presentations, motivation is kept up. It has also, during this year, strengthened the desire to make more meaningful and topical posts on a more regular basis. Such as this!

Now to one blogpal of long past, one of the very first to become a regular on DoWY comments. Jenn's post had been prompted by this same lady. She had found out what I had not been able to ascertain for myself but had strongly suspected... Kay is now in long-term care of a memory ward (no further details). 

K L Davies made me laugh, think, and, at times, grit my teeth! Right from our first contact through her comments here, we also became firm email pals. There were occasions during our pen-palling that I wondered at her mental condition. During the year that we built up to her visitation with me in 2016, I surmised that much of the resistance she was describing coming from her husband might be due to his worry about her mind. I contacted him directly with reassurances, not least that I had a health care background. Eventually, Kay was on her way. This was a trip she had dreamed of since her young years. It meant the world to her. The month prior to her arrival, not a day passed without her asking about what to fit into the few days we had together. She would study Maps and come back to me with 'we could just go here.. oh how about here?!' and I'd have to get back to her advising a choice was to be made. That 20 miles on Scotland's smaller roads equalled 200 by Canadian standards. Managing her expectations was one of my most difficult tasks. I loved her enthusiasm, but - as I muttered to father the week before her arrival - I suspected there was some difficulty of perception.

During that intense, fascinating, thrilling and beautiful tour, I had all my suspicions confirmed. I could not (nor was it my place to) discuss this with Kay, and I did not contact Richard about the matter. Our time was brief, and as long as I was there, all was well. At least once a day, Kay would say, 'watch me please,' and I recognised that she recognised her mental facility was starting to fail. I was grateful she agreed to let me understand her medication regime, which proved useful on several occasions. Once she had returned to Canada, there were few emails. When I did get one or two, they seemed to suggest she had not seen or did not recall the ones I had sent to her. Also, on her blog, posts became very few, filtering to none by August 2018. The posts that did appear displayed some...hmm... disorganisation. The last email I had from Kay talked of her taking a walk and 'being very unsteady' by which I took to mean she ought perhaps to not have been walking at all, unaccompanied. I wrote several emails after that, including one to the address I had for Richard, without result. I am therefore grateful to Jenn for having learned that Kay is under care.

Due to blogging, I have been afforded the privilege of travelling by proxy, travelling for real (BAR!!!), and having had other bloggers visit me and become good friends. It is a wonderful place, the netiverse, and I see no reason not to leave one's footprints within it. One day, far in the future, who knows how they will resonate?

To read all the adventures of Kay and the YAMster, here are the posts in the correct order.



23 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing the research! I knew about the Legacy ASSn, but I have not yet taken any action, though I know I should. I was lucky that I knew where my husband kept most of his passwords, even then I've had a heck of a time deactivating some things! I really need to make a list of everything for my son, so he dies not have to put up with all the BS that I went through with Dave's accounts, memberships etc.
    The worst has been gmail! I did NOT know Dave's password for his gmail account. I asked them, as his executor to please close it and I sent them a copy of his death certificate, but it was not enough. Their requirements to close it went above and beyond onerous! So I have decided that they can deal with an email box full of letters from nice eastern bloc grrls looking for a sugar daddy, Nigerian princes, penis extenders, you have wons, gambling sites offering free trials, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great remembrance of a dear friend and blogger. We all should bookmark the inactivity manager!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about our digital trail we leave as we pass on. But I really don't know anything about it. I haven't even done a basic will. I want and need to put my blog on a thumb drive. So my sons can have a copy of my blog. I even thought of giving it to our local museum. I look at blog a recording of history.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. it seems there is nothing what changed not during the last years... and it feels as nothing beame better after the change... maybe it is the wind what blows in a different direction now generally?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yam - a first quick reply ... thanks for this information re our blogs so that at least we can decide or give that option to a family member or friend, also about the DLA ... I will look into it. And reply further here ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn certainly provided you with a fruitful and useful topic to discuss today! And thanks for the pointer to the Digital Legacy Association.
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAM I do so appreciate the time an energy you put into this post. Oh Yes do I agree with every word. My hope is to continue my blog in memory of Dear Sweet Madi, she was the soul of the blog, helped me find my voice and love of photography. Had it not been for her I would never have met all these wonderful friends. I do wish when folks decide to move on to from blogging to other ventures they would maybe consider a short post saying that.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very informative post, Yamini. Thanks for this.

    I wasn't aware of the Inactive Account Manager of Google. Though I have heard of digital literacy, I didn't know about all those apps that take care of digital legacy.

    Actually, I have wondered about what would happen to my digital data after I am gone. I have taken steps at home to ensure that if I am gone, my digital data won't get locked out. But I must explore this Inactivity Account Manager.

    The point about vanishing bloggers too is something that I have thought about. In fact, I have gone back to my old posts and even tried to re-connect with some blogpals who used to regularly comment. But I haven't been successful.

    I think it's a part of the journey of life that people come and go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Just so...

      I am pleased you found something of use in today's post, Pradeep. Putting this together has also helped to realise that I wish to do a sort of 'spring clean' of the blog and remove any of the posts that do not actually reflect life or events (I have quite a few pages of just utter nonsense that can be eliminated!). Much as one must rationalise things in one's home as one grows older, then I think it must be the case with all those ether-drawers! Yxx

      Delete
    2. Hmmm ... that's a good idea, Yamini.
      I have noticed that when I go through some of my own very old posts, I can't see myself having written all that I wrote.
      Probably an indication of how we change over the years.

      Delete
  9. Whoops - deleted it.... ACT II: we read all today's blogs this morning expecting to do some commenting at lunch time. It's been a busy day. We thought about end of blog stuff when Jill (Land of Big Sky) died. No one but F knows how to access this blog. In the general scheme of things F expects to outlive me. My blog will stop when I do (it might be replaced by something else) but F will want to cling to my memory for a while so she needs to look into those links you have kindly provided. She has already lost access to one blog by messing up the email address li ked to it, so she is very protective about the survuval of this one.
    Love and hugs to all Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't stop laughing at the comment from Marv's mom. this is all super great info, I had not done much pondering on it, now I will. no one in my family every looks at any of my blogs, most don't even know they are there, bob doesn't look and dosen't care. neither of my sons do online anything. that will make it hard. i just want the blog to stay there to jog my memory about things, after i am gone, no one will care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I disagree. All we, your blogpals, will care. As will history. So do think at least about the inactivity arrangements. Yxx

      Delete
    2. I will care, Sandra. You done know your blog saves my sanity sometimes. It will be like visiting with you, if I outlive you.

      Delete
  11. I have thought about my blogs and what will happen. I think surely at least one of my daughters will want it to stay there, and think maybe both will. I wish I wrote every day in my pics and pieces blog...but I just cannot seem to get in the habit. But we all go back to it to look at and read stuff Lorelei did when young, and to look up other stuff.

    I need to give them the password to get into it. I did have a list, but things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful and very important post! Luckily, Ed and I have discussed what should happen if something happens to either and how we would handle the other's social media.

    Thanks so much for all the research and hard work you put into this post. I am bookmarking it and think it may be one of those posts you should highlight, or give "page" of its own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      Thanks for your comment - and I seem to have struck a chord with this one! Interestingly, I had been wondering about how to keep this to the fore and your suggestion of a page is worth considering... actually, there have been a few things growing from this, as I had anyway been wondering about bringing so much together rather than being spread all over the place... it's all a work in progress, this life!!! Yxx

      Delete
  13. Thank you for this, Yam. It broke my heart. Richard said he'd told family and friends, but he's missed some of us. I am so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I hold no resentment, but it was a little strange not to have rec'd any response... then again, as we can both imagine, it would not have been an easy time (or decision) for R to deal with. I am just so grateful to know that Kay is in safe hands. There are others about whom we shall never know what has occurred - if, as others mention, there was at least an ending post on their blogs/media. Oh well... it's as messy online as it is in real life! Yxx

      Delete
  14. This past couple of years has shown us just how fragile life can be. I joined a church circle or 'older ladies' in 2008. Those sweet ladies became my mentors and surrogate mom's at times. In the last year 4 have passed and one no longer has possession of her facilities. The only way I was informed of the passing was through the prayer group of which I still am a member. Now I may need to think of ways to 'save' my blogging records. Thanks for the suggestion. namaste, janice xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, lots of good information, and a lovely tribute to your friend. We too often wonder about those who are gone, wherever that may be. Sadly we too are coming to a point where we may let the blog go, but for now still trying to persist:(

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post and something we should all be aware of. A crochet blogger that I follow recently died suddenly and her husband was finally able to post about it with the help of another blogger that they were friends with outside of just blogging. We sure miss some of our friends that have left their blogs behind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've made me think seriously about my age and the need to plan something like digital will and so on.

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏