WYSIWYG

What You See Is What You Get. This is a journal blog, an explore-blog, a bit of this and that blog. Sharing where the mood takes me. Perhaps it will take you too.

Me-noo-tekni; New Toys

Last year, I had been getting going with some kitchen vids that you all seemed to enjoy... but then the Fudge started playing up. I tried filming directly with OctoKan and that was okay, as was using the Hisstix. But all a bit clumsy. Add in the fact that I was then having to load it all over to dear old Voo Voo the Vaio, to use the Windows Filmaker and then load it all back across to OctoKan to upload... well, it just wasn't pretty. It also has to be admitted that the quality of the vids was rather below the standard that folks look for now.

So I was awaiting the time I might upgrade. Hisstix is still a very valid handicam. Fudge, I fear, may be on its last days. It still takes decent enough shots, but the electronics are playing up, so I am saving it purely for when I require a major zoom photo... though I have noticed some degradation of quality and suspect the electronics are also affecting the focus and capture. 

Why am I showing you photos of bread? Well, you will recall, when I first get a new camera, I need to experiment as I get familiar and friendly with it. Thus, when this new item arrived two weeks back, I immediately wanted to test it out. Given the state of the weather outside, it had to be what I had to hand. 

Jalapeno and Cheddar Sourdough, in case you are wondering. Anyway, first a standard portrait shot. Then using the small zoom and standard exposure settings. Then a shot with the zoom and using infill flash with a bit of twiddling on the ISO. (Cropped for Instagram.)

The one or two selfies that might have been taken seem to have been trashed mislaid. 🙄 (I was still with lurgy - you really didn't need to be looking at that.) Anway, next target was the fruit basket.



























And then a pretty tin which occasionally stores cookies. Although this instrument does not have the macro facility that its big brother version does, I think these close range shots are offering much promise!


What do I mean by 'big brother' to this item? Well, if I show you the other new 'toy' that came with this order, perhaps you will have more clue as to what I got?

Still not sure? Well, that there is a Qimic Gimbal Stabiliser. Ostensibly (... struth, I never thought I would own one of these...) this is a selfie stick, but as can be seen by the cleverly integrated split handle, it also becomes a tripod. Nothing wrong with the tripod I have, but it is, as mentioned prior, clumsy. Particularly for filming in enclosed spaces.

Filming... I do want to get back to making some of those kitchen videos for you, and much more besides, as I work my way towards being on the road again. The other factor I was faced with is that being on the road requires consideration about communications and web access... So have you guessed by now?

Yup, the YAMster has finally given in and puchased one of those pocket tablets everyone insists on calling 'smart' and 'phone'. Specifically, the Google Pixel 7... (not the big brother 'Pro' verision, which does have more camera power, but is getting lots of negative reviews due to the camera glass on that version cracking and I don't think they've worked out why yet.) I have a LOT of learning to do to make it sing and dance for me. I have not transferred my SIM from the Doro, so it will remain a tablet and camera until such time as I take up travel. My SIM is possibly only 3G (have yet to assess that), so may have to upgrade there too but I can get a ridiculously cheap deal with my provider and am actually thinking I might just transfer my home wifi to the SIM as it is a full fifteen quid cheaper per month! But that's all just part of the process one has to endure when adapting to new technology.

The point is that, being a Google product, the tablet and the laptop are fully integrated, so when I take photos, I don't have to faff with memory sticks and USBs to transfer them. What is more, I discovered on Octokan that I could now purchase LumaFusion, as they have brought it over to the Android market. That will be way more functional than the dear old (albeit very simple to use) Windows Filmaker. 

Now, don't go expecting anything too soon. Like I said, there's a major learning curve as I come to terms with all the functionality now at my fingertips. However, you might be wondering, given all the other items I have named, what is this one to be called? It shall henceforth be referred to as Gopika. It is the Sanskrit for 'cow carer' - and of course I love cattle. But the point is my naming always arises from the model names or numbers of the equipment. I think you can easily see how Gopika arises from Google Pixel... and with it I hope to Go forth and Picture!!!




14 comments:

  1. WOW you’ll not be able to stop now Yam.….I’m looking forward to seeing the results of your new single person ‘learn something new everyday’ group

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Your bread looks yummy, I have never mastered bread making. Congrats on the new toys, I am sure you will have fun using the new gadgets. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari OM
      I wish I had baked this one - but no, it's from the local store! Yxx

      Delete
  3. I love sourdough, it looks delish. what agreat reason to bake. Celebrating the new Google Mini Computer, ha ha on that one
    that is what my gifted iPhone is. a min computer. work fantastic on wifi. glad you found a cheaper wifi, that is important. I am excited to hear how you like the new smart phone. I have seen them advertised and I like the seamless google products idea.... so happy for you. be sure to keep us posted as you learn things. sometimes people mention things the find and I can find them on my product even if not the same brand. If I had MILLIONS I would have one of EACH. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. the selfie stick is a super handy thing... it can help to make things possible... we love it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bread looks absolutely delightfully delicious. We love artesian breads. One of the favorite I buy is
    Asagio bread. Wonderful with marinara. YAY YAM has a new toy....happy playing
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see many tourists along Rome's streets with selfie stick ... you will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your modern technology. There always is a learning curve but we know you will be fully functional in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is interesting studying the different takes on the bread and what each highlights or obscures. You might regard yourself as having been dragged screaming into 'smart' phones (well have approached them reluctantly) but you have a way better understanding of what (and how they should) achieve and communicate with other smart things etc than most of us. F still resents being forced to use a fruit product for work (strictly Android this girl) - a very low grade one at that - and so tightly bound up in security measures that it won't talk to anything - particularly not the wifi available in airports and rail stations; and regularly not the 'network' either if the lack of connectedness to a signal is anything to go by most days. Hate is a strong word but F has strong feelings about her work phone and it isn't a tool that supports her work. We hope your new toys connect you successfully wherever you find yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best of luck with the 'smart' phone. It seems we all succumb eventually..
    The sourdough looks totally delicious!
    Cheers, Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let the fun begin!!! I do think you are going to enjoy learning all you can do with your new "camera"!
    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are beautiful and crystal clear. I wish I had the same head that you do for techy stuff. Your bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always exciting to have new gadgets! Good luck with the smart phone. Hope to see to see stunning pics!

    ReplyDelete

Inquiry and debate are encouraged.
Be grown-ups, please, and play nice.
🙏